Frozen Strawberry Cake?

Decorating By Boofycakes Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm by sweetcakes

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 6

I had a cake order, and right after I finished decorating it I received a call that the party was cancelled and a request to freeze the cake. So immediately I stuck the cake in the freezer. Now I've frozen cake before,but I've never frozen a whole decorated cake with strawberries in it! Now, will there be any issues freezing strawberries? How do they hold up? It is chocolate cake with strawberry filling and buttercream icing. Should this be alright?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 6

Real/Fresh sliced strawberries? They will be a bit mushy and will seep juice into the cake icon_sad.gif

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:55am
post #3 of 6

They are Fresh sliced berries. I was worried that they would be juicy. I've frozen strawberries before in a container and they get juicy.

I don't know what to do. This cake was for a friend, and it's all paid in full. It's for her boyfriend's niece, and the party got cancelled because the grandma was rushed to the hospital. So of course I feel terrible, and she asked me to freeze the cake, and she said if it didnt hold up well she would purchase a new one from me. If it were any other customer, I'd do it, but I feel terrible.... and at the same time very aggravated because if she had just called me a couple hours earlier it would have prevented this whole situation. LITERALLY 2 hours. GAH! icon_sad.gif and I REALLY don't have the time to make a new cake for the rescheduled party...

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #4 of 6

Plans change. She asked for you to freeze it and that is what you did. Maybe she can keep it semi frozen at the party to help? It would probably be best to start all over. icon_cry.gif If she needs another cake and you don't have the time, tell her you are unavailable on that date. Explain the potential problem with the cake (it will seep and get soggy) and let her make the decision. I am sorry for the inconvienence but I would still charge her to make a new cake. You still have to spend the same time and money on another one. I do feel for you. I hope her grandmother is doing better.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 6

Exactly what she ^^^^^ said.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 6

since it is completely decorated and now frozen its going to take a couple of hours to completley thaw out, the strawberries will only go soggy then. Find out when they are going to serve the cake and take it out 3-4 prior so it can come to room temp but still be cold in the middle, it think this would be fine if you can do it this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%