What???little Miss Cake Expert Wants Me To Make A Cake.....

Decorating By shelly-101 Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 9:10am by lostincake

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 37

Ok so today i got a call form this lady that i used to work with....My biggest cake critic never the less....always makeing rude comments about my cakes like any one can work with fondant but buttercream is so much harder yah i agree buttercream is hard but so is fondant and just always making little comments here and there...she has taken the wilton cake classes so she says so any way she called today to ask me if I would make her doughters 5th birthday cake because she just does not have the time.....what makes her think i have the time....

36 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:08am
post #2 of 37

I know what I'd tell her...but I can't write it here! icon_twisted.gif The words "bite me" come to mind.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 37

No matter what you do she is gonna criticize it so I would say "No Thanks" I'm booked"

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #4 of 37

I agree with the others. Run away!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:55am
post #5 of 37

tell her you predict that that day would be a busy day for you, so you can't do it. heehee.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:08am
post #6 of 37

anyone can ask to get a cake, but not everyone get one! You will never be able to make this "lady" happy. Run Forrest Run! You are crazy if you do it.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:40am
post #7 of 37

Before I make anyone else's cake, I would make my own daughter's. She really must be busy, if her daughter is the only one she doesn't make a cake for, poor girl. I'd stay up the night to do it, if I didn't have any other time. But I agree, if she's only critisized you, I wouldn't make it either

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:55am
post #8 of 37

If she doesn't complain about the price, do it. She is the customer and she must have confidence in you. If you give her a price and she, in any way, sounds like she doesn't agree; then forget it.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:15am
post #9 of 37

I wouldn't do it either. I forsee in your future her trying to get a refund because "surprisingly enough" everything is wrong with the cake.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:29am
post #10 of 37

Why set yourself up to get your feelings hurt for no reason? Don't do it.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:32am
post #11 of 37

I agree with everyone else...I wouldn't do it.

Peet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peet Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:34am
post #12 of 37

I bet the only reason she is asking you to make a cake is because she feels you are much better at it! That is why she makes remarks like that...

I don't think I would do it.

You think she will give you the credit?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:57am
post #13 of 37

hummmm.. I think I might do it, and give her a drop dead gorgeous, indisputably mouth watering delicious cake of a lifetime... icon_twisted.gif
but that's just me.... icon_lol.gif

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:59am
post #14 of 37

Sorry, I wouldn't do it either....I know people can change, but this one.... I would be scared of.

Why in the world would she ask you to make her daughter's birthday cake when she has only ever been critical of your work?

I think I would have had to ask!!!

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:01pm
post #15 of 37

I agree with Ursula40, I would never put an order before MY daughter's cake. I would do whatever I had to do to make sure I would be able to make my daughter's cake.

She DOES probably know that you are way better than her and she wants her daughter to have a beautiful cake!

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:11pm
post #16 of 37

You make the cake and she takes the credit for it. I would laugh myself silly just thinking about it.

No Cake For You!!! Bahahaha

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:16pm
post #17 of 37

I have to agree with the majority here. She's been a problem
in the past. Why put yourself up for more crap from her.
She should do the cake.
Let us know how it turns out.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:24pm
post #18 of 37

i mean i understand her being a PITA
but i am with someone else who said... make her a cake, make her daughter cry, blow both of their minds... and Shut her up... real quick...

but if she is too big of a PITA.... drop her like a bad habit, and tell her that unless she wants to pay extra, you are fully booked that weekend...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:43pm
post #19 of 37

I was just thinking the same thing about this as ElectricCook. If you do a great cake for her, she'll tell everyone that she made it and take the credit for it. This is the kind of person who won't shut up no matter what you do, so don't think that making a wonderful cake will put her in her place. Don't bother, you won't be able to win with this one.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:00pm
post #20 of 37

I agree with Electriccook. I bet that's what she's planning to do. My daughters plan out their cakes months in advance, we spend countless hours on CC looking at different cakes, it's very important to them. Sounds a little fishy but I would charge her something really high and see if she pays it, then it might be worth the nit picky comments. If she questions the price, just tell her... well demand has increased and I just had to raise prices to weed out the little guys icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:08pm
post #21 of 37

How sad that she has no time for her daughters 5th birthday cake.
Isn't that what being a mother is all about - afterall FAMILY time comes before anything -

If your 6th sense kicked in to type this thread - then i think stay with that instinct -
I don't know you but i would hate to come here in x ammount of weeks time and see you shattered because of the grief this women caused you - and whats worse - you work with her - arghhhhhhhh that leaves you open for even more grief -

What a shame you are dreadfully busy *that* week - with other orders - icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Actually i think she has a nerve to even ask you if she has been condescending in the past -
*pffft* ...save your energy for those who appreciate all you do... and don't play her nasty game.

Bh icon_smile.gif

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:09pm
post #22 of 37

after looking through your gallery,its no wonder why she wants you to make her dd cake, but i do agree that she's either going to try and take credit for it or bash it at or after the party. i wouldnt do it either!

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:23pm
post #23 of 37

Step away from the lady!!! I would not do it either! You don't need the hassle and it sounds like you have already received enough hassle from her. Keep your sanity in tact and use your common sense with this lady!

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:30pm
post #24 of 37

How do you not have time for your own daughter's cake? Her b'day is the same time every year, it's not like this suddenly popped up. I wouldn't do it, especially since she has been so rude in the past.

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #25 of 37

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I have really thought about this one and i think i am going to tell her that i just do not have the time. If I do it i think i will be setting myself up for something really bad i have a feeling that in the end she will find something wrong with the cake and ask for a refund and i don't even want to deal with that. Trust me the first thought that came to mind was heck ya i'll do it and give you the best cake that i have ever made but than when i had time to think about it i just don't want to deal with it. I think i am just satsfied enough knowing that she asked and i said no icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif.....walmart watch out.....lol

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:06pm
post #26 of 37

I think your cakes are awesome. I would do it. I really don't think she can say anything bad about it. Charge her your regular. No discounts.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:21pm
post #27 of 37

Sounds to me ike the only reason she criticizes you is because she is jealous of you!!! She knows you have the talent. That's why she is willing to have you make her daughter's birthday cake! If she truely thought you were as bad as she makes you out to be with all her criticizing, then you would be the last person she would ask to make her daughter's cake! I would be tempted to bring up my feelings to her if it were me. "Can I ask you something?...All you have ever done is criticize and put my skills down. Why would you want me to make your daughter's cake? I'm sure there are other people who could make it for you.".....And her response would determine whether or not I made her cake! Good luck with whatever you choose!

Teresa

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #28 of 37

Not sure if I would be "busy" or not, because of the bad comments she may have made to me in the past, but to address the "why isn't she doing her own daughter's cake?" .......

When my daughter got married, I did the cake and the food for the wedding and I swore I would NOT do that when my next 2 kids got married. I may make the cake (because I'm a cake snob) or I may not .... I know I will not do the catering, unless my staff wants to do it. Otherwise, I will call another caterer and hire them.

I don't know if people will look at that as "gosh, she didnt' even take the time and effort to do her OWN kid's wedding!" but I dont' care. Been there ... done that .... not doing it again. That does not make me a bad mother who doesnt' care about her kid.

Maybe this lady is throwing a really big party. Maybe she's putting in 12 hours a day at work. Maybe she just really wants a super nice cake without getting all stressed out about it.

There just could be lots of other factors. I hate to see mob-mentally that seems to be decrying her as a bad mother just because she didnt' make her own kids cake.

Most of us make a living off of moms who dont' make their own kids cake.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:42pm
post #29 of 37

I'd tell her you were booked also. Make her think you need a couple of months notice, this way she will think your cakes are in demand and not as easy to do as she says they are.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:10pm
post #30 of 37

When my (very adored) only child turned 16, I WAS working 12 hour shifts, had just been thru death of a close family, another member was terminal, and I was physically and emotionally exhausted. I could not change my schedule or my life, but I did the next best thing. I gave myself permission to not be super-woman. I got a cake from Sams (and yes, it was pretty good actually) and focused on making a wonderful buffet of his fav food. I am a good baker but a so-so decorator and I didn't let myself get all fussed-up over a store-bought cake.

I think I would take on her order. I would have no problem sweetly saying, "now I know in the past that there have been things you didn't like about my cakes, so lets work out all your details right away for this cake." And as far as her taking the credit for the cake, don't let it bother you if she does. Apparently your work is much better than hers and if someone asks her to do the same type cake for them, she will not be able to deliver on their request.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%