Kitchenaid Help And Advice

Decorating By islandgirl72 Updated 4 May 2009 , 6:02am by JulyMama

islandgirl72 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 20

I have recently been bitten by the cake decorating bug and am addicted. I am currently using a little hand held mixer and would dearly love a KitchenAid.

My mom just called to tell me that they are on sale at Canadian Tire this week for 35% off, but I'm not sure how good the one that is on sale is. I will only be making cakes for family birthdays and holidays and eventually might make some for friends.

This is the machine that is on sale:

KitchenAid Ultra Power Stand Mixer, White

Sale: $239.99
Reg: $369.99

Product #43-2166-2

Features

* Powerful 10-speed 300 W motor
* 4.5 qt stainless steel mixing bowl with handle
* Tilt-up mixer head for easy bowl removal
* Includes dough hook, wire whip and flat beater

Do you think this one would be good for me? I know I have seen others with the bigger bowl and more powerful motors, but the price of this one seems good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

19 replies
costumeczar Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:11am
post #2 of 20

Check around on price online first, because I don't know if that's a good price. I've seen those on sale for around $190 here, but I don't know if that's a normal sale.

If you're using a hand-held mixer, you will LOVE the kitchenaid. The one you're looking at is the smallest one, but as long as you're not doing a bunch of large cakes it will be fine for what you need.

Skirt Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #3 of 20

ARGHHHHH! Every time I see or hear "Canadian Tire" my blood boils. icon_mad.gif

OK, that being said, have you checked Costco? Also, my sister bought one off the shopping channel for a song before Christmas. Make sure you look around because there's nothing worse than making that purchase and then seeing it the next day at walmart for $50-100 LESS. icon_cry.gif

jgrob3 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #4 of 20

Just a heads up that I got the 5qt Kitchen Aid at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon for $240. So to me that price is a bit high for the 4.5qt. If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond around you and don't have a coupon...you can get one from Ebay fairly cheap.

chrissypie Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:20am
post #5 of 20

Amazon. com has them for under $200 ( around $196), plus free shipping! I would look there!

jolly Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of 20

i just bought the hd series at costco for $250.00 so far its worth it to me i mix frosting and cake mix so fast and hands free so i can do other things also, good luck on your new arival peace

islandgirl72 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:57am
post #7 of 20

A little more info about me I guess...

I live on a little island in Canada and the closest stores are a ferry and 4 hour drive away.

There is a Costco down in the city and they have the 5Q 475W motor one for $399.

Amazon has great looking deals, but sadly won't ship to Canada icon_sad.gif So that is a no go.

I checked the shopping channel and they have the Artisan for $399.

I guess by the sounds of it you guys don't think the Canadian Tire one is the way to go possibly?

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:55am
post #8 of 20

Can you purchase directly from the KitchenAid online outlet store? I just ordered a 450 w 5 qt pro series for $165.00 american. It was on sale for $220.00 and I found a coupon code for 30% off anything on the site. I am so excited about my fantabulous deal! icon_biggrin.gif

lostincake Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:19am
post #9 of 20

I actually got mine from Canadian Tire a year ago from my DH for my B-Day and it suits me just fine. It's the exact model you mentioned and he paid about $300 so I think the price you mention is a very reasonable price. Even the one at Costco near me has only been as low as $300 but that was during Christmas - now they are back to over $380 there.

Currently I am just baking for family & friends and I find it is just perfect for a single batch of cake or batch & a half of BC. I've even used it to make MMF. I do have an extra bowl though for when I need to make more than one thing at a time which is a big time help.

My SIL got the 5 qt this past Christmas after seeing mine and quite frankly, the bowl doesn't look much bigger so I doubt it is much more beneficial or efficient for the home baker.

HTH.

** edited for typo **

islandgirl72 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:51am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

Can you purchase directly from the KitchenAid online outlet store? I just ordered a 450 w 5 qt pro series for $165.00 american. It was on sale for $220.00 and I found a coupon code for 30% off anything on the site. I am so excited about my fantabulous deal! icon_biggrin.gif

I got really excited about this, picked one out, went to check out and unfortunately they don't ship to Canada either icon_sad.gif Thanks for the suggestion though.

islandgirl72 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:54am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

I actually got mine from Canadian Tire a year ago from my DH for my B-Day and it suits me just fine. It's the exact model you mentioned and he paid about $300 so I think the price you mention is a very reasonable price. Even the one at Costco near me has only been as low as $300 but that was during Christmas - now they are back to over $380 there.

Currently I am just baking for family & friends and I find it is just perfect for a single batch of cake or batch & a half of BC. I've even used it to make MMF. I do have an extra bowl though for when I need to make more than one thing at a time which is a big time help.

My SIL got the 5 qt this past Christmas after seeing mine and quite frankly, the bowl doesn't look much bigger so I doubt it is much more beneficial or efficient for the home baker.

HTH.

** edited for typo **

Thank you for your post. It sounds like I would be using it for the same things that you are. I like the idea of making my MMF in it. I wonder if it would be big enough for the WASC recipe that uses two mixes or if I would have to do it in 2 batches. So much to think about.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl72

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

I got really excited about this, picked one out, went to check out and unfortunately they don't ship to Canada either icon_sad.gif Thanks for the suggestion though.

Oh, BUMMER!

islandgirl72 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 20

I'm so excited! I just found a mixer on Craigslist and they will ship to me.

It is a floor model being sold at a liquidation place so I hope it all works out ok. They assure me that it is new, has all pieces and is under warranty.

It is the pro series 475W, 5quart with the bowl lift.

I really hope this all works out.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:03am
post #14 of 20

woohoo!! *crosses fingers and toes*

Ballymena Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:26am
post #15 of 20

Scroll down in this forum topic and find
Tilt head or bowl lift by Cinderspritzer
There is some good advice there.

beck30 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #16 of 20

My husbant bought mine at walmart for 200, the same one. You should look around,you can always find a deal. A KA is a dream come true.

smartsexystylish Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #17 of 20

Wal-Mart has the white class 4.5qt on sale for $229. It'll probably be on sale at that price for a month. icon_smile.gif

joenshan Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:

I'm so excited! I just found a mixer on Craigslist and they will ship to me.

It is a floor model being sold at a liquidation place so I hope it all works out ok. They assure me that it is new, has all pieces and is under warranty.

It is the pro series 475W, 5quart with the bowl lift.

I really hope this all works out.

That's great. I got mine on Craigslist. It was a gently used KitchenAid 6 quart Epicurean. I paid $110 for it. Best $110 I ever spent.

mygirlssweet Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #19 of 20

Mine is from Costco. I love it! It's a 5 quart bowl and I often wish I had a 6 quart bowl because I do big batches of everything I do. Best gift I ever got! Anything is better than a hand mixer.

JulyMama Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:02am
post #20 of 20
Quote:

I wonder if it would be big enough for the WASC recipe that uses two mixes or if I would have to do it in 2 batches. So much to think about.

No it's not. I have a 5 qt and I have to use my hand mixer (which works just fine BTW) between the 2 mixes and all the other stuff that goes in it's not big enough icon_sad.gif The recipe actually says to use a hand mixer also.
Congrats on your new purchase!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%