Wilton Buttercream Icing With Crisco

Decorating By Nikki5725 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 1:53am by psurrette

Nikki5725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki5725 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 6

Help!! I made my daughter's b-day cake over the weekend and I made buttercream icing with crisco. I colored one layer purple and one pink. I had the cake sit out overnight and when I woke up the icing had changed. The pink icing had white specks in it and the purple had dark purple specks. What happened??? My house temp was about 73 degrees. Could that have been it. First time this has happened. Did I not mix enough? Help! I'm making another one this weekend and don't want it to happen again.

5 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 6

Did you put salt in?? If the salt is not completely disolved before putting in it will result in spots after the icing has set -more noticible in dark colors.
If you make the icing the night before using you can remix and the spots will disappear, but once it's on the cake your out of luck.
I had this happen to a dark blue cake - but was able to use it as part of the overall design of the cake - so the customer thought I had done it on purpose!!

edit to add - they also say you can use popcorn salt to help eliminate this problem.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 6

if you use salt in your icing it could be caused by that. When I was teaching we use to tell people to melt the salt in the water before putting it into the mixture. Your icing will get darker as it sits. Try using Americolor colors

Nikki5725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki5725 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:25am
post #4 of 6

thank you for the suggestions!! had no idea it could be the salt. i'll try dissolving it first. this is the first time this has happened to me. i'm praying it doesn't happen again.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 6

I agree with the above posts, but beware--Wilton pink and purples also fade a lot in both natural and fluorescent lights.

If your cake was light exposed, the dots may be more evident due to some fading, too.

Melting the salt is an excellent idea to avoid this issue. Also, Chefmaster makes no-fade pinks, reds, and purples.

Rae

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:53am
post #6 of 6

Before I knew about americolor I had a purple cake turn blue from being in the sun. I havent had that problem at all with americolor. I personaly don't use the salt in my icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%