Fondant W/gumtex Or Tylose Vs Gumpaste

Decorating By isabow2 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 2:17am by artsywest

isabow2 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 10

I see a lot of beautiful cakes on here that use amazing decorations said to be made out of fondant and/or gumpaste. But I'm so confused. Can you use fondant to make items like flowers, figurines & signs or should you use gumpaste? Also what is the difference between using Gumtex or Tylose in the fondant? Please help me out! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
bashini Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 10

Hi, you can make things from fondant alone, but it won't go hard. So I make my figures flowers and accents from fondant and CMC/tylose mix. I haven't used gumtex but you can use it to make fondant go hard. Tylose, CMC, tylopur, gum tragacanth all can be used in fondant to make it go hard. When this powder is added, its very easy to handle. If you are going to use this powder, mix 1/2 a teaspoon of tylose/CMC to 250g of fondant.

And you also can mix 50/50 store bought gumpaste and fondant. That is also go hard when its dry.

HTH,

brincess_b Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 10

gumpaste, once you get ued to it, is easier/ better for realistic looking flowers too. i personally cant get fondant thin enough, or use the tools for the edges of flowers.
xx

isabow2 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, you can make things from fondant alone, but it won't go hard. So I make my figures flowers and accents from fondant and CMC/tylose mix. I haven't used gumtex but you can use it to make fondant go hard. Tylose, CMC, tylopur, gum tragacanth all can be used in fondant to make it go hard. When this powder is added, its very easy to handle. If you are going to use this powder, mix 1/2 a teaspoon of tylose/CMC to 250g of fondant.

And you also can mix 50/50 store bought gumpaste and fondant. That is also go hard when its dry.

HTH,

Thanks for your response! How long does fondant take to get hard w/the tylose?

SugarChic24 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 10

what would you suggest for figures?? I was just searching the forums for this... I want to try making a figure (person) but I don't know what would be the best medium, I am also seeing conflicting reports. Fondant alone seems too soft for this?

bashini Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:26am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabow2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

HTH,

Thanks for your response! How long does fondant take to get hard w/the tylose?

I mix the powder with fondant and leave it over night. But you can use it straight away. But you need to knead it really well untill it becomes elastic like texture. Here is a link to aine2's video on making modeling paste.

SugarChic24, I use tylose/CMC powder mix with fondant. I have posted the quantities in the above post.

You also can mix store bought gumpaste and fondant. But it really comes down to what suits you best.

thumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:32am
post #7 of 10

i think it depends on what you like.... ive done small ones in fondant cause they didnt need to dry as part of the support. gumpaste makes a good solid figure, but not so good for when you want to eat it (although it is edible, it will end up rock solid!). and it dries fast, so it you arent a fast worker you can have problems. so alot of people use the mix of gumpaste and fondant, dries nicely, but not too fast. so experiment and see what you like. (thats why theres conflicting reports - its not actually what works 'best' but what someone can work best with themselves, given their skills and location - humidity and stuff like that)
things take varying lengths of time to dry, the thicker the piece is the longer it takes. but the outside will start to dry quickly, so you must always keep your gumpaste coverd and sealed.
xx

SugarChic24 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:31am
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much, that does help alot, especially to clear up some confusion. Last night I played around with the gumpaste and I absolutly do not work fast enough for it. I had it out on the counter for just a few minutes while I was looking for the right gel coloring and it crusted right up on me. I'm going to try mixing it with fondant tomorrow night to see if that works better for me... wish me luck and thanks again for the advice!

SRReeder Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:55am
post #9 of 10

What is CMC?

artsywest Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:17am
post #10 of 10

Be sure you cover any loose petals or leaves or cutout shapes you have with plastic wrap while you are working on something else so it doesn't dry out, and only roll out a small portion at a time. It really is quite fun when you get the hang of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%