Need Help With Toba's Icing

Baking By kimsmom Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 1:46am by kellycat102938

kimsmom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 9

I made these cookies using Toba's icing (first time for me) and I liked the consistency and the shine to it, plus it was just as easy to work with as RI in my opinion, but the trouble I ran into is that when the cookies dried, the color washed or leeched out of the spots that I dropped in while the base icing was still wet. I didn't want the cookies to have raised spots. I added about 15 drops of Americolor White to the icing before I colored it with the other colors. They started out almost identical to the colors in the invitation, but as they dried they seemed to fade. Does anyone have any tips on how to accomplish this technique for next time, or tell me what I did wrong. Thanks in advance.

8 replies
Honeydukes Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 9

First of all very cute cookie. Really great execution.

My guess is that when you drop the lighter color, it is resting on the darker background and it's showing through. Same for the darker color, they're sort of blending. Try upping the contrast between the colors.

I've done this technique before, but never with such close variations of a color theme. Let us know how it works out.

But let me say again, they're very cute cookies. I don't think anyone would point out that they're not exactly the same colors. I do understand, they're not what you envisioned and you want them to be better. icon_smile.gif

Edited to add: What is the little heart on the end? Cute touch.

Have you seen this cutter?

HeidiCrumbs Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 9

OMG, I love that cookie! Personally I can't really tell the difference in the picture much, but I also understand that if a cookie is not what you wanted it to be it is beyond frustrating. Sorry, no advice to give.

I just wanted to add that I have given up on Toba's Glace. It has ruined three batches of cookies for me, due to both user error and things that seem to happen to nobody but me. Good luck!

kimsmom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you for your replies. I guess I'm just being picky, but they looked really good before they dried. There are actually 3 different colors of spots, but only 2 turned out in the photo. This is the first time using Toba's as I was getting blotchy cookies with the RI recipe I've used for years. But that's another thread.
Honeydukes that is called a pony bead. I had a ton left over from another project and they fit perfectly on the Wilton lollipop sticks. Plus I wished I had seen that cutter it's perfect.
Thanks again to you all for the timely info.

kellycat102938 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 9

I love the pregnant lady and the umbrella. I've seen this on many cakes, but the cookie idea is wonderful.

kellycat102938 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 9

Did you make your own cookie cutter, or can you purchase this cutter?

artscallion Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 9

I've had two problems with Toba's glace...fading and a sour smell. Everything was fine until the next day when they appeared almost to have a cloudy film over them. And it was not regular over the whole surface. It was more of a random, blotchy kind of thing. This happen on both ones with one color dropped onto another and with ones that were one color only.

They also developed a sour smell. I can only guess that this was due to the milk in the icing. After huge amounts of work tossed in the trash that year (these were to part of gift baskets) I nolonger use her glace.

kimsmom Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by kellycat102938

Did you make your own cookie cutter, or can you purchase this cutter?

I just used a set of circle cutters that I have. Cut the larger circle cookie in half and then use a smaller circle cutter to cut the scalloped edge. You can make any size this way.

kellycat102938 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #9 of 9

Thanks, makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%