Need Advice Or Help Bussiness Opportunity In Colorado

Business By cakesmade4u Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 1:36am by cakesmade4u

cakesmade4u Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 6

I'm from Denver CO and I was hoping some one could give me advice.
I currently bake for family and friends but I got a opportunity to do more cakes for a relatives job, monthly about 4 a month well the problem is they would like for me to fill out a w-9 form. So if I did that I 'm thinking I will need to go through and rent a kitchen and be certified through the state and have to take taxes out.? Could I rent a kitchen church or hall. For that time to do those cakes? Would it be considered as a small business? Could anyone please help or give advice? Should I just say no? TIA icon_cry.gif

5 replies
cakesmade4u Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone.... don't have to be from Colorado just need advice. TIA icon_cry.gif

DNBunny Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 6

It sounds like you know the pros and cons of both. If you take on more business-type clients, you're going to have to go legit, which means renting a commercial kitchen and paying taxes. You would quickly have to become a small business. If you say no, then you don't have to do any of those things but you're limiting yourself to friends and family.

What do you want to do? Do you want to turn this into your small business or are you happy with it being a hobby?

cakesmade4u Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 6

I would love for it to be more than a hobby but I've been reading up on the forums for a business here on cc and it sound very expensive to have a business. I don't know how much it is to get a kitchen and go through the process out here. Maybe something I will have to look into more.. Or just say no... and leave it as a hobby for now... icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

DNBunny Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 6

It's completely your choice, so don't feel stressed. There are some expenses to having a small business that you don't have when it's a hobby. Many times the first phase of a small business runs at a loss until the business picks up. You still have to pay taxes and business expenses and marketing expenses, even if you don't get any extra business or clients. However, if you can survive the the beginning phase and the lean times, you'll probably be able to make more money and have more clients with your business down the road because you'll be legit.

I don't know what churches or halls charge to use their kitchens, but calling them is free and you can get an idea of how expensive that is. If you have a friend who owns a commercial kitchen, they might be able to rent out their facilities at off times to you too.

cakesmade4u Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 6

I don't even know where to start as who to call talk to or even get loans from.. And I don't even work right now I'm a stay at home mommy I'm pretty sure my DH don't want to dish out any money to get me started...
But maybe down the road sometime I will have another opportunity along the way..During this time I can look further into it for now...I'm sad but who knows? thanks for your respond I feel much better....

Quote by @%username% on %date%