6" Tiers

Decorating By karmand Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm by karmand

karmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmand Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 4 tier wedding cake and each tier will be 6" tall. I've never made a tier that tall before. Would it be best to make the cake using two 3" pans or can I use three 2" pans?

I'm going to buy new pans anyway...so should I buy 2" or 3" pans????

Also does the size of the cake make a difference. (Lets say the bottom tier will be 14 or 15 inches.)

Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 6

I have a wedding in August with 6" tall tiers, however, I had a friend who did a wedding with 6" tall tiers and the bride emailed her back a few days later and said that the cake hung off the edges of the dessert plates. I emailed my bride and let her know she should talk with her caterer and make sure she has big enough plates. She's since decided to go with 4" tall tiers.

However, I did lots of research on this because, like you, I was going over and over in my head "how do I do this?"

the majority seemed to agree that baking 2 each of 3" tall cakes is the best way to go. Some thought that putting each 3" tall cake onto it's own cake board before stacking is a good idea. i personally didn't want to do that because i was going to cover the entire cake in fondant, and when the person who cuts the cake cuts into the cake, they will notice the cardboard separation and what do you do then? Cut a line around the perimeter of the cake to separate the cake?

I always use my 3" deep pans because I usually end up cutting away a lot of cake when I level the top, so if it was me, I'd bake 3 - 3" tall cakes. Better to have more cake than not enough.

karmand Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:04am
post #3 of 6

3 - 3" cakes??? Now I'm confused.... icon_confused.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 6

I was saying 3 3" cakes because I am usually taking off too much cake when I level it, so I end up with a 2" tall cake. Therefore, for ME, I need to bake 3, because the end up being 2" tall thus giving me 3 2" tall cakes at 6" height.

Sorry to confuse you!! icon_redface.gif

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 6

I use 3" pans but usually bake 2 inch layers in them. I made 6" tiers for my last cake and baked 3 2" layers. It worked out really nice and you don't have to torte the layers and you end up with 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling. Very pleasing to the eye.

karmand Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 6

I know that anything taller then 4" is supposed to have more support.....so will 6" be OK without the extra support? Isn't a topsy turvy cake usually 3 - 2" layers?

Oh my!!!....the more I think about this the more nervous I'm getting!!! icon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%