Immersion Blender

Decorating By robin5568 Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 9:01pm by prterrell

robin5568 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 2

I am wondering if anyone has tried to use an imersion blendmer to mix their buttercream. I have tried and God knows I have tried the Sharon Zambito method over and over. I still end up frustrated and powder sugar everywhere. I spend hours cleaning my KA mixer and the counter. I also many times don't need that much icing. I got to wondering if an immersion blender would do the trick with a lot less icing needing to be made. If all the ingredients were in the bowl and a towel placed over the opening then you could move the hand held blender around till the power sugar settled down remove the towel and finish up your mixing. I also would think that you could keep it immersered under the buttercream so that no air bubbles would get in. I of course would have already tried this idea except I don't have an immersion blender and don't want to buy one unless this would work. Anybody game? Please let me know if it works or if you have tried it and it doesn't. Thanks for testing.

1 reply
prterrell Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 2

By immersion blender, do you mean a stick blender? I have one, but I have never used it for icing. It's great for pureeing soups and sauces right in the pan, though! Honestly, based on it's design, I don't think it would work so great for making icing.

With the PS going everywhere, do you add the PS one cup at a time and then blend on the lowest speed until it is incorporated before adding the next cup? This will decrease the PS dust storm to practically non-existant. Also, if you have left over icing, just put it in a freezer bag, date it and label it (i.e. vanilla bc, lemon bc, etc) and pop it in the freezer. The next time you need icing, you'll already have some made up. Just defrost it and rewhip it for a couple minutes and it's good to go! Honestly, to me, making icing is just as much work if I'm making a little bit or a lot, so I always make a big batch, even if I only need a little, so that I can have leftovers in the freezer. I only have to make icing for every 2nd or 3rd cake this way (I only do cakes for friends and family, so I'm not doing even 1 a week). I've used icing that was 6 mos old before and it was just as good as fresh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%