Stomped

Decorating By cre8ivemary Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 1:57am by jammjenks

cre8ivemary Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 13

Okay so I've had 2 different ppl ask how much for a cake like this..I have no clue concidering I make cakes for family & friends. This cake was made for my sis n law. Cake sizes I used were 3-1in 8x8,2-2in 6x6,2-2in 4x4.

So this one person wants to know how much for this exact one and the other person asked for it in larger amount of sevings. For like about 150.

How much should I charge & What pans would I have to use for that many?Please Help.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1315465.html

12 replies
cakesdivine Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 13

It sounds like you haven't been doing this very long which probably also means you are not a licensed/legal baker. So you taking any money to do this could get you into some trouble, or even giving them away for an event where the public is served is illegal too. Family & friends parties where you are invited is okay, but you can't be paid. To get around this you can have the person purchase all the ingredients for you then give them to you so at least you aren't out that money.

Have you been watching the threads where we are trying diligently to get the laws changed in Texas so we can bake legally from our homes?

If not give me a minute and I'll post the link for you.

cakesdivine Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 13

Here is the link... Look to about page 15, I think that is about where this year's campaign started to pick up. KelleyM (Cake Boss Rep) is really the go to lady about all this. Just keep looking at the updates and the threads that are about this as well for current news.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-46933.html

MadeYaLook Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 13

cre8ivemary- I can not help you with your question as I do not sell cakes, I only make them for friends and family. But hopefully this bump will get you your answer.

Cakes Divine---you sure are assuming a lot here. And I do not think that .02 answers her question. Why don't you stick to the question askes or don't answer at all. If you would like to give her guidance PM her, but don't jump down her throat b/c she asks a simple question.

icer101 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 13

sassyhasselgren.... i am stomping my feet...shouting .. with joy.. at your comment.. totally agree.. i wish everyone. that posted.. knew not to tell thier personal business... theres always the same ones that jump right in and try to tend to it..

foxymomma521 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 13

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

Here is a link to Earlene's cake chart. It will help you decide what sizes you need.

cre8ivemary Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 13

Thanx for the help & quick response guys. Sorry I don't keep up w/all the fourms & Sorry W/O thinking I've touched a touchy subject. icon_redface.gif DOn't get me wrong cakesdivine,I do appreciate the info..in a being cornered kinda way..I really didn't think asking a simple question would get me up against the corner icon_surprised.gif with my gloves up. Next time I'll be aware of what to ask & what not to ask tapedshut.gif Sorry,Sorry,Sorry & Thank you.

FromScratch Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 13

Ummm... since when is someone trying to educate someone and possibly save them legal hassle considered jumping down her throat. No where was cakesdivine rude or talking down... she even offered advice on how she could not be out the cost of ingredients (though even that's not technically legal). She directed her to the cause to get the laws changed. Ever stop to think that the business owners who have been-there-done-that are quick to offer sound advice... it's pretty selfless really.

Funny how when it's something that you don't want to hear it's harrassment...

-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8ivemary

Okay so I've had 2 different ppl ask how much for a cake like this..I have no clue concidering I make cakes for family & friends. This cake was made for my sis n law. Cake sizes I used were 3-1in 8x8,2-2in 6x6,2-2in 4x4.

So this one person wants to know how much for this exact one and the other person asked for it in larger amount of sevings. For like about 150.

How much should I charge & What pans would I have to use for that many?Please Help.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1315465.html

Mary, I love your cake. I like your style.

Let's see 8x6x4 is about 42 servings (Wilton) give or take so as is I'd say minimum $3 per serving so like ah, $125-ish.

Then for a 150 serving it'd be $450 and for sizes it'd be 14x10x6 would only be 130.

14x11x8 would be 148.

Sometimes locating an 11" pan might be more difficult but I know Fat Daddio's makes them.

You could go to a 15x11x7 for 88+47+24 you get 159 servings but again locating the 15" pan --pretty sure fat daddio's carries a 15 incher.

This is for regular cake & regular filling -- anything gourmet and the price gets racheted up.

I really like your cake, Cake-buddy.

FromScratch Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 13

I have a Fat Daddio's 15" pan.. icon_smile.gif It's great. I have their odd sized set 3-15". Nice pans and not uber expensive. icon_smile.gif

tx_cupcake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Funny how when it's something that you don't want to hear it's harrassment...

**Screams "AMEN" from the highest mountain top in Texas (which, coincidentally isn't very high!)**

I am sure that cakesdivine was just trying to be informative and helpful to a fellow Texan (cuz, you know, we look out for each other like that). There are a lot of uninformed bakers out there, and isn't it better to hear it from someone amicably here on CC than from the health inspector who's beating down your door because someone found a hair in your cake?

Like my daddy always says, "Ignorance ain't bliss. It's jail time."

C'mmon people!

And Mary, that cake is AMAZING! Faboo work!

cakesdivine Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:41am
post #12 of 13

I wasn't jumping down anyone's throat or pushing them into a corner with their hands up....LOL! Just providing info. I don't want to see anyone get in trouble. Knew a lady that ended up in big financial trouble because she was baking on the fly, shame too cuz her cakes were amazing. HD put such a fine on her that she will never able to see her dream of having a legit cake biz become a reality.

I've been decorating cakes for 25 years now, and I am pretty good at spotting a newbie, based on the questions they ask.

OP - you have a lot of talent, just don't want to see you get burned. And we need as much help as possible to get things legal here in TX! And as txcupcake said...ignorance isn't bliss, it will cost you considerably.

jammjenks Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

There are a lot of uninformed bakers out there, and isn't it better to hear it from someone amicably here on CC than from the health inspector...

True. This is where I learned that what I was doing was illegal. Until then, I had no idea. Now I'm proudly legal and very grateful to live in a state that allows it from home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%