Crisp Edges When Covering With Fondant

Decorating By oddy Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 1:39pm by SaraClassic

oddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oddy Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, so I have a few questions. I have been making fondant cakes for about a year, but have only made a few. I wanted to know how is it that you get such crisp edges when covering with fondant. Mine always round off. How do I correctly buttercream it? Or is it my cake slumping down, and what textured cake's can I use to not bulge on the sides. My cakes always bulge where the layers and filling is even if I only put a tiny bit of filling. Also, what fondant is easier to work with? MMF or regular corn syrup fondant, which is what I use now. http://www.flickr.com/photos/31146636@N02/2918838909/

9 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 10

My personal method for getting crisp square edges is to refrigerate the frosted cake so the buttercream gets nice and firm. Then you can get the corners/edges nice an crisp/sharp.

As far as bulging goes, make sure you let your cakes settle for a few hours (if not overnight) after filling and frosting before you fondant them.

I use Satin Ice brand fondant, but when I make my own I use a standard 10x/cornsyrup/gelatin type recipe.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 10

I use a very firm cake, a stiffened bc dam. let them settle after filling. trim the sides then crumbcoat. chill a bit and then cover with fondnat.

HTH

oddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oddy Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 10

Thank-you for the tips an advice. I had one more question. What kind of buttercream should I use for the crumb coat? Thicker, wetter, thinner? Usually I'm really bad and use store bought stuff, what's your take on it?

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 10

I use between med and thin consistency. Enough to spread smooth, but thick enough so it's not falling off the cake.

Don't use store bought. Ever.

LOL I don't want to be rude, but it doesn't take much time to make it yourself and it tastes SO much better.

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

cream butter and shortening. add the liquids. slowly pour in the sugar. cream it for another minute or two to get smooth. Add more water if you want it thinner. Add more sugar if you want it thicker. This recipe as is will give you medium consistency.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #6 of 10

At Austin, I took a class with Elisa Strauss. Some of her tips were to have a cold cake and to pinch the edges. There is no other way to get a sharp edge.

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #7 of 10

niccicola, Thanks for the receipie. Can you tell how many cups that creates?

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:46am
post #8 of 10

I cover my cake with molding chocolate, I stole the idea from charm city cakes. The modeling chocolate when it's slightly chilled is hard as a rock and man do your corners come out sharp. The down side, it takes twice as long, and its more expensive. I've only done this once, but it worked great.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 10

Ginger-it makes 3 cups

I almost always double the recipe since the bags of sugar I use are 2 lb bags-it's convenient to use when doubling!

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 10

Also, check out SugarShacks DVD's they are very great. Her fondant disc gives details on all of those questions and how to get nice edges. Check her website for dvd's ... she posted above and has links posted in signature line! I think it's sugaredproductions.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%