What's Better?

Decorating By Lalady Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 7:05am by lostincake

Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 5

I have an order for a wedding cake with Fleur Di Lis on the sides and a large one for the topper. My plan was to use fondant and a silicon mold to make them. I would attach the small FDL's to the sides using royal icing. My idea for the topper would be to make 2 FDL's then attach them back to back with a dowl rod between the two to insert into the cake. But, the more I think about it...would the solid fondant shapes be too heavy? I was thinking of using the mold with rice crispy treats then covering in fondant.

I'm new to using fondant molds & rice crispy treats. I'm open to all suggestions!

4 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 5

The fondant won't be too heavy if it's not too thick.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 5

No it won't be too heavy. Go for iticon_smile.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:52am
post #4 of 5

Be careful with rice crispy treats they can be heavier than you think. The first time I used them as a sculpted topper I thought they would be light as air, they ended up squishing the cake. I'd do a test run if you intent to use snap crackle and pop.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:05am
post #5 of 5

I guess it would depend on how big the topper would be but generally, fondant figures and such are really not that heavy.

I made this "40" topper and worried that it would be too heavy but it wasn't.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1323390

It was a good 4" tall and was just fine. I didn't even use dowels underneath.

But as KawaiiCakeCook pointed out, you could always test it. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%