Does It Bother You When... (Here On Cc)

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm by dhccster

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 27

...You click on a gorgeous cake pic photo, and the only description is 'visit my blog/website/photostream at www.cake blog etc.com' ??

To me this is somewhat bothersome, that they are using CC to drive traffic to their website. Don't get me wrong, either way it's an addition to the galleries, but when a user has 0 posts and 20 pictures with the same generic description, it kind of feels like they're taking advantage. Anyone else agree? Or am I the only one?

Edit to clarify: I know some users have their web addresses in their signatures. This in NO way is what I'm talking about, because those members with addresses in their signatures are actually contributing members!

26 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 27

there was a post on here, bout how people just dont put any description... a small issue, but it bugs me. and this one too, especially casue i want to know about the cake, not just look at their other cakes. it is an irritation, but i guess it takes all sorts!
xx

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 27

And I've always wondered why people tell me the cake is "choc w/rasp filling"..I mean..it's all covered in icing or fondant..it could be lemon. Now if they tell me what color they used for the covering or a technique--hey, I'm all eyes..

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 27

jeanne, the flavor/filling descriptions drive me crazy! i don't care what flavor it is, i'm not eating it so it doesn't matter. tell me about your how you mixed that color or how you got that texture or even WHY you made it. i wanna know a story about your cake, not what it tastes like! lol!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 27

i think for those members who do this a a business it could take a lot of time to load in a description on all the details all the time-it's certainly quicker to just upload the pic. and perhaps this is another way for them to generate business but cc is used for all kinds of reasons, some might be looking for better recipies, looking for inspiration or just help on techniques-aren't we using someone's expertise in those areas to our benefit too? how is that different? sure i would like to see more details on cakes i really admire but some do and some don't

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 27

I absolutely agree about describing the decorations and the decorating process but I love to read what cake flavors and fillings they use....................A few of these descriptions have inspired me to try new and different things that I hadn't thought of.. Just my opinion.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

I absolutely agree about describing the decorations and the decorating process but I love to read what cake flavors and fillings they use....................A few of these descriptions have inspired me to try new and different things that I hadn't thought of.. Just my opinion.

I agree! I'm one of the offenders! I love to know what flavors people are doing out there because it inspires me to try new things...There have been quite a few times when I saw a flavor combination I'd never have thought to try on my own so I'm glad some of us include the flavors...

I agree about the original complaint though - I don't care about your blog - just tell me about the cake decorations! lol

Tammi

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 27

I put flavors because people used to ask me so I just include it so they don't have to. I put what I made things out of too, but it's easier for me to just put it in the description than answer multiple PM's. Some people *do* want to know what's inside.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

for me too! plus i see all the time people posting questions about what flavor cakes/fillings are their favorite or most popular. when i first found CC i saw that most people listed them so i did as well until i found out it annoyed people icon_redface.gif so i stopped. i do like it when there is a description and helpful hints.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 27

I also think that linking to a blog might allow for people to give more of an explaination than what the minimal space under the picture allows. People are sharing their pictures and letting you know where you can find a description. I guess I don't see the problem.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 27

I enjoy knowing the flavors also.........as others have said it has inspired me to try different combos that I may not have thought of otherwise.

As far as there only being a website or blog address and no cake description, I agree, they should also put a small description of the cake/technique used.

It doesn't bother me that they try to lure us to their site, however. icon_cool.gif It's no different then the members that advertise their websites in their profile, it's free advertisement so they take advantage of it. I don't see any problem with that as long as the site administrators don't.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 27

I really like reading the descriptions. As Tammi said up above, it inspires me to want to re-create their flavor combo's. I don't mind when I see that someone has pasted their blog or other website. I wish they would finish the description of the cake. But I actually like to go and look at blogs and websites, so it works for me.

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 27

i too really love to know what the flavor is- even though it doesn't change how beautiful or creative a cake is. I guess I want to know the whole story! icon_smile.gif Plus, I think i'm just nosey! icon_razz.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:22pm
post #14 of 27

I do appreciate the flavor descriptions as I love to hear a good flavor combination as much as I love seeing the decorated cake. Sometimes...if it's a particular combination that I may have been curious about, the contributor might just share the recipe/how-tos for it.

I get buggy when no key words are left....this is a vital element to finding that cake again (unless, of course, it's put into your favorites) and it gets overlooked too too often.

cupcakeco Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:22pm
post #15 of 27

For me as far as flavors are concerned, I make everything homemade (as I know a lot of others do) and it takes as much time and effort. So for me, it's just as much a part of the overall cake as is the decoration.

cupcakeco Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

It's no different then the members that advertise their websites in their profile,

Dkelly, this is where I would have to respectfully disagree with you. In the most recent instance of this (weblink only in the description), I clicked on this particular member's profile to find that they had been a member since 2007, and not ever contributed to the forums in that time, only posted pictures (all with the same 'description').

To me, that alone makes it clear that they are simply using CC as a vehicle.

The members who, on the other hand, put their web addresses in their signatures (what appears below their forum posts) I feel have every right to. They are helpful, contributing members of the CC community and have earned that. I see no problem with that.

I guess it boils down to this: I have come to know CC as a community forum, someplace to come and share pictures and advice about decorating cakes. The fact that there are actually members who are seeming to exploit the environment we have here is a little disheartening to me. Others may disagree: I respect that.

I was simply only wondering if I was the only one. icon_smile.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #17 of 27

I have not come across the website/blog as the description. I like it when we are told about the cake - cake size, brief description about the decorations, colors and if room cake flavors/fillings. Then I will leave a comment, for me no description just means no comment from me (just my thought, not to offend anyone)

Carol97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carol97 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #18 of 27

I agree too with many of you about describing the decorations and the decorating process for the cake. I'm a newbie and this information is so important to me to self-teach myself. I love it when members tell for example, what brand and style of cutters they used for names and such because it really tells me then if I want to go out and buy that product. I also enjoy reading about the cake flavors and fillings because I look at all of you as being my mentors and think that you know the best combinations for the best flavored taste.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks Carol

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #19 of 27

My initial reaction when I seen the first one was "WTH!!??" I visited out of curiousity (and because it told me to...;-} ) and seen helpful tips and links to blogs and other sites with yet more helpful stuff....It didn't bother me anymore.

What if, they waited for someone asking for help with a certain design...."Someone, please help! I'm trying to make a TT...not the one like is in the tutorial here on CC but the other one...with the wedges....."

The 'link description leaver' enters the thread and posts a link to a TT cake on their own site...(oops) or a link to their blog.

Thinking about the cake descriptions....I sat half the morning looking at pictures of cakes and their descriptions...
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IRA3ti6NOUY/SMxbXRC7kQI/AAAAAAAAArc/OZdf-sQ67Ts/s400/Orange%2BLayer%2BCake1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://merrymoondesigns.blogspot.com/&usg=__pTPg_SXk8raooXcmr0LfHQO-DsQ=&h=300&w=400&sz=41&hl=en&start=43&um=1&tbnid=YN9KBLQrbAXz9M:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcookie%2Blayer%2Bcake%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4SUNA_enUS310US227%26sa%3DN%26start%3D42%26um%3D1

http://tartelette.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&updated-max=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=50

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:48pm
post #20 of 27

Just my two cents...I personally would like to see cake sizes & heights (if not standard 4") mentioned more often. This way, I am not guessing what was used to achieve the look and would have a better idea approximately how many servings it would be.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #21 of 27

Hey, don't get me wrong-the description of the inside of thecake is great--it's when that's the only description, and it something run of the mill like choc cake w/buttercream frosting--nothing else. I do like to know what's on the outside-is it MMF, gumpaste, 50/50--that helps if I'm trying to recreate a look. So many times the color of the cake is what catches my eye, or some unusual border.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

Just my two cents...I personally would like to see cake sizes & heights (if not standard 4") mentioned more often. This way, I am not guessing what was used to achieve the look and would have a better idea approximately how many servings it would be.

Due to the many requests I've seen in the threads for this info, I've started adding this info (when I remember) plus the number of servings it's designed to serve.

I also love knowing the stories behind a cake ... I usually like the story better than the how-to's of the cake. icon_redface.gif

But any info on a cake is great ... I'm disappointed to pop in on a great looking cake and see nothing posted about it. icon_cry.gif

Key words ..... dont' forget the key words......!

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:33pm
post #23 of 27

I just love looking at the details! I'm just happy that people with such talent even share the designs! Begin that I'm still learning and getting the hang of this whole world I'm grateful for whatever they share!

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:35pm
post #24 of 27

I try to post as much as I can about each of my cakes. Because each cake is a "labor of love". I am at times more proud of the new filling or cake I tried for the cake then I am of the decorations on the outside.

I love knowing the whole story of the cake. The more information the better. It is one of the best ways I have learned new things on CC. I have also been pushed to try new flavors or techniques because of descriptions from the photos!

I don't get mad when there is no description but I do get disappointed, but all the cakes are great and I want to know more.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm
post #25 of 27

Just as Indydebi said, KEYWORDS!!! It so frustrates me when a cake is posted without them. When I comment as a Gallery Supporter, if I see a cake without them, I PM the creator and ask them to consider going in as an edit and adding those all important keywords. I, too, don't mind knowing what the flavor was (and usually post what mine were) because I get ideas from others about great flavor combinations. And, yes, I love the story... why/how did that cake come about?

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm
post #26 of 27

JMHO - CC is here for us all to use as we see fit. I would like to think no one is here to offend anyone. But we all have different needs for this site. I don't see why anyone should have a problem with how someone else uses their membership here. As long as it doesn't cause the site and others problems.

As for the descriptions I do like to know all the details from the inside out. As for how we should all do that, to each his own. There are times we may not have the time to sit and type everything we want to about a cake. And the site isn't always cooperative, which makes it annoying to do all that typing for it to error. It is nice to know what we each look for on the details of a cake. I would love to include it on my since some are interested in it.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #27 of 27

I really do appreciate the ones who write a description. I am new at this and have gotten so many ideas from the descriptions. I love knowing the flavor combinations of the cakes. It has inspired me to try new things. I like it when they tell what tip they used if it is not a "common" one. I do end up reading the comments to find out more information from any questions asked.

Thanks to all of you who have inspired me. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%