Piping Writing On Sides Of Cake...help!

Decorating By susanscakecreations Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm by indydebi

susanscakecreations Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 12

I need help/advice.........anything...........I am going to be doing a cake
(a semi truck cake) next weekend; and I need to pipe some writing on the side of the truck.............my question is, would it be better to use royal icing or colored piping gel? I have ordered some of the mini pastry bags, and hopefully this will help too.
So what do you do to get the best results?

Thanks!
Susan

11 replies
KellBell22 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 12

Personally I've always used the same buttercream that I've used to frost the cake, and a real steady hand.

mbt4955 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 12

Here's a bump. My piping is horrible and I can't imagine trying to pipe on the side of a cake. icon_smile.gif

calynmom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 12

I find the piping gel a little runny for the sides of a cake. I'm with kellbell22....I also use my regular buttercream. Royal Icing would also be perfect.

starcitycakes Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 12

I made one a few months ago and I used regular royal icing. It stayed attached to the fondant I used. However, it ended up being what I thought was a Cake Disaster. It was my second ever sculpted cake and second ever to use fondant. I used two loaf pans to make my tanker and it just looked horrible to me. Luckily it was for my step-dad and he was just happy that I made it. icon_lol.gif

tonicake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 12

Have you considered the pin prick method for writing on the side of the truck? Simply use b/c or ri.

I've used it on different things and was very happy with the results. Just a suggestion.

KlyKat Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 12

I write on the sides all the time. Just get to eye-level and do it. I use the same bc I normally do with all other writing. K'ly

susanscakecreations Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritswife

Have you considered the pin prick method for writing on the side of the truck? Simply use b/c or ri.

I've used it on different things and was very happy with the results. Just a suggestion.

I've never thought about the pin prick method!!!!!!!!!
That sounds like a fantastic idea!!!!!!!
Thanks!!!!!

susanscakecreations Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Here's a bump. My piping is horrible and I can't imagine trying to pipe on the side of a cake. icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone, I think I will try practicing with the royal icing and the pin prick method! My piping/writing isn't the greatest, and I need all the practice I can get! I have tried using my regular bc, but I guess it's just me.......I think it always looks too thick..........well, wish me luck, and thanks again for all the wonderful info!!!

yh9080 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 12

I had to do this recently. I covered part of a cake dummy with Glad press'n seal and practiced for a bit first. I got down eye level with a cake and used a parchment bag, which gave me better control.

nickymom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 12

UGhh I'm so bad about pipping on sides too.....I once did a carved thomas the train cake formmy little nephew (who loved the cake because he was only turning 3 yrs. old and at that age any cake looks good I guess LOL) .....anyway I loved everything about the cake, I was really proud of it until I had to pipe the lines and details onto the sides....UGH UGH It turned out to be a diseaster!!!! I told my self if I ever do a cake that needs pipping on the sides i'm going to have to use RI! That's what I hate about myself is that my hands are not stedy enough I guess plus I live in KY and it was summer so the BC was too soft.....hot hands etc. ugh I cringe just thinking about that cake.

indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 12

I use BC for everything. Not sure what RI is actually used for because I never use it for anything on a cake. I use BC for borders, flowers, writing, stringwork ... everything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%