Need Help With This Cake

Decorating By momtobtb Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 1:24am by paulstonia

momtobtb Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a cake for a family friend's wedding in October. She sent me this picture of a beautiful wedding cake to base her cake on. What sizes do you think these tiers are? Also, do you think the bottom two tiers are single 2inch or 3inch layers? I'm usually good at judging this kind of info from looking at pictures, but this one has me stumped.

Thanks for you help!

6 replies
anabelz01 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I'm not hugely experienced in cakes of this stature but I would hazard a guess at 6", 8", 10" 12" and 14" and as for the depth of the cakes i think appearences can be decieving! The bottom tiers probably look narrower because in that view you are seeing the narrow side of the wonky cakes and they are likely to be deeper on the other side! I hope this helps that is a lovely cake!

momtobtb Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 7

I was thinking the bottom tier is not carved since it appears the fondant balls stay straight as they go around the side.

anabelz01 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 7

Yes actually you may be right there, but I do think the second from bottom tier is a wonky one! Those types of cakes are always difficult to work out...! I do wish you luck with it though, I expect it will look great however you interpret the sizes (and since it will look different depending on the angle at which you look at it, no one would be the wiser if you altered the sizes to suit how you think it would look best!)

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 7

Wellllllll I thinkicon_smile.gif.......
..... size starting from the bottom: 16x3; 14x2; 12x4; 10x4 and 8x3
The bottom two are only slightly tapered on the top..... maybe only rounded on the top edge but not totally straight. The two center tiers are cut at an angle and turned around so there is the tilt to them. The top tier has the top edge rounded off so there is a slight rise to the center of it.

nonnyscakes Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with kakeladi on everything except the top two tiers. It may just be an optical illusion, but the top looks to be a 6" and the second tier a 9". It just looks like there is more "edge" (about 1.5" around) showing on the 2nd and 3rd tier than on the bottom two (about 1" around).

paulstonia Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:24am
post #7 of 7

Yes exactly what I was thinking. The third tier up definitely has a wider edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%