She Didn't Like My Buttercream!!

Decorating By live2create Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm by cakesbycathy

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 20

I have a bride who tasted my buttercream, and at the time said she liked it, now she doesn't which is so fine, I realized not everyone likes the same thing... Anyways now she would like to try a whipped frosting. As of yet I have not used this kind of frosting.
Here are my questions: I did find a whipped frosting that is like a cool whip at a U-Bake I have not used it yet.
When you have a whipped frosting how do they hold up. Wedding is late June. Could the whipped frosting be a problem with the weather. How long can it sit out of refrigeration before it could start to whimp out.
Is it easy to decorate with, will it take coloring well. Do any of you add extra flavoring to give it a nice flavor.
My biggest issue is finding a good source !
Any help, advice would really be welcome

19 replies
vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 20

what recipe did you use?

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 20

I don't know how your summers are but mine suck! I wouldn't try a whipped icing for a wedding in June. It's just asking for trouble. It tastes best cool. Can you imagine warm cool whip. Not to great. Is the wedding outside? If so, I'd tell her only fondant. But I'm going on my experience with Louisiana's hellish summers. Good luck.

live2create Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 20

AS for my buttercream rec. its just the normal one, everyone seems to like it alot, I have tweeked it for my own liking and everyone else seems to like the flavor and taste it isn't heavy or to sweet.

live2create Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 20

The wedding reception is inside, our summers here in WI. can be hot and muggie, not good for a frosting that needs to be cool.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 20

If I had someone say they did not like my icing then I guess they would not buy my cake.

I mean I guess I would offer three kinds (but I hate to do tastings) French buttercream (the old Wilton way--not the egg yolk way) Swiss meringue buttercream and regular American buttercream. Because I am going to use what I am familiar with--it's not an Iron Chef competition thing.

So I mean icing is freaking icing. It's made from sugar and vanilla--what's not to like.

What is there to ramp your palate up about?

I mean I know you probably want to save this order but for myself I would not try to deal with a finicky eater. If they want American ok if they want a whippy one I'd go with smbc but as far as pleasing her palate--ugh uh, not moi. Find another baker, sweet cakes (I mean the bridelete as 'sc').

And I mean the smbc is all butter--you gotta have your sh*t together to use it in the summer and to deliver it without melting. It's a greater degree of difficulty so tell her it costs more too.

I had a bride on a budget so tight budget she squeeked, wanted to know if I used Watkins brand vanilla--kma!!! icon_lol.gif

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 20

Rich's make a product called "betterCreme". It's basically cool-whip, with a stabilizer. I don't care much for it, colors will bleed, and it doesn't hold up to extreme heat. It can be left out for about 5 hrs at temps above 90+, but I wouldn't take the chances. Some people swear by it, not me though I like good ole' buttercream icon_biggrin.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 20

I wouldn't use an icing I'm sure about or familiar with. My expreience with cool whip type icing is limited but I know that I don't like it warm at all. I would suggest fondant or maybe a little different buttercream. I personally don't care for icing but always have a taste to see how it is (I also always have plenty of helpers wanting to taste it.) Best of luck with this one...

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 20

indydebi has a buttercream that is supposed to be really good (so say a lot of people on this site) and it's supposed to be pretty heat-proof. I'm going to try it this summer. Our summers here in SE TX are murder on frosting. It might work for you also.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 20

I mean you can make any American type icing more humidity proof by adding either Wondra flour or additional cornstarch--but bridelette's issue was taste. I dare say if she tasted high humidity icing she probably wouldn't like that either.

I got I got it--she should have a chocolate fountain icon_biggrin.gif

I'm just being silly--there was a recent thread about a bride not buying enough cake and wanting to fill in the gap with a chocolate fountain.

But I'm not just being attitudinal--although I have an attitude and I know how to use it--but if she doesn't like your icing then she needs to look elsewhere or you've just become her personal pastry chef trying to hit her mark.

However if you want to expand your horizons and try some cooked meringue icings then go for it--practice a coupla times--practice all the way through to riding around in your car with a cake in the new icing.

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 20

I wouldn't do it. I once had a bride come to me and try my cake, and she was the worst bride I ever dealt with. Luckily she decided not to book with me. I gave her the flavors that she wanted to try (on my list of flavors), then she starts telling me that she has these other flavor ideas. (ones that I don't even do) She then says, you know "ones that aren't like box mixes. icon_eek.gif The ones I gave her were scratch, so I was completely offended. She then says that she used to bake a long time ago, and said she wanted to dig up an old favorite recipe of hers. She wanted me to bake it for her to try. I was like you have got to be kidding me. Her fiance loved my cake, but then would start agreeing with her because he didn't have a mind of his own. She ended up calling me and saying that she went with another baker. Thank god. Long story short, I wouldn't add anything to my menu that I didn't want to do. She will just have to deal with it, or find another baker. imo icon_smile.gif

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 20

Other than Bettercreme, there's also pastry pride and frosting pride. Personally, I think frosting pride tastes much better than pastry pride.
The bakery where I did my cake class uses pastry pride (cheaper than FP...) to ice their cakes and then uses BC for the decorations. I certainly makes for a VERY smooth cake. It could be a good compromise for you.
Here in Cali they sell it at Smart and Final but I know alot of the grocery stores use it for their cakes so you might be able to buy it from them.

HTH icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 20

I agree with the postings that I wouldn't use a whipped topping for a wedding cake, unless you have it in the fridge, deliver it pretty quickly and have it go into a walk in. I would say it has a room temp life of about an hour before it gets warm and yecky. Epsecially in June

I also agree that if I have a bride who didnt like the taste of anything I made, I would tell her "I am so sorry, I know I cannot please all pallates. Thank you for considering my baker, etc etc and good luck to you!" and send her on her way.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 20

Is your normal buttercream an american icing with buttercream? If that is what it is, I don't like that one either. I like meringue buttercreams. I do put less butter in my meringues than the other ones. The icing is more smooth texture. It really doesn't have that weird sweet to it either. It still is sweet though.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #15 of 20

What about the whipped icing from Sams Club? They sell the buttercream and the whipped form my understanding and I know both are very good.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #16 of 20

I agree 100% with "K8". The really soft whipped icings are so difficult to keep stable. Just a little warmth and the decorations you have placed start to slide or fall off the cake.

In SC there is NO cake worth the potential headache of whipped icing in the summer. (Not too crazy about it in the fall/winter either)

Hazel

live2create Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 20

I so know all of you are right about the temps in June, and I would be asking for one heck of a stressfull cake. The other thing that made me kinda mad about the deal was they did do a taste testing liked what they had ( or so said they did) then I sent out the contract and didn't hear from her at all, I did call and just touch base and that was when she told me about the frosting, and yep my first thought was perhaps this isn't for me, but I am a pleaser ( not all the time) I didn't want to not touch base take another cake and then have a ticked off bride because I took more work than I could handle, ( But yet she didn't send the contract back) so I would assume I was not the one for her.
Thank you so much for the advice I love all of your comments. I can feel my back bone becoming much stronger.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #18 of 20

I make icing using one recipe and it's the only recipe I've used for 30 years. I had someone tell me "NO BUTTERCREAM .... whipped cream icing ONLY!" and I pointed across the way to the Kroger that's just 2 minutes away and said, "I dont' DO kroger cakes ... if you want a kroger cake, it's right over there."

If they don't like my icing, then they don't want my cake.

Thanks for stopping by. See ya.

Next!! icon_biggrin.gif

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #19 of 20

I have used the bakers buttercream recipe many times, the texture is creamy and light, not too sweet. It does not crust, but if you are good at smoothing with a spatula it would work fine, me I am not good at smoothing non-crusting.
This is similar to bettecreme icing, holds up well and does not need to refrigerated.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2114-19-Bakers-Butter-Cream.html
BTW, in this recipe it says to freeze, I think the author meant if you make a large batch, it freezes well....I always just made what I needed.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #20 of 20

"This is the icing I use on my cakes. I'm sorry you don't care for it. I understand everyone has different tastes, so I won't take it personally. Good luck finding a baker who is better suited to make your cake."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%