Help Me I'm Having Fondant Issues!

Decorating By sweetisome Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm by pattigunter

sweetisome Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:11am
post #1 of 7

I've been inducted into the fondant addicion club and I do fine with smaller pieces/amounts of the stuff, but whenever I cover somthing...and object or the cake itself, it "cracks" or rather begins to "separate" around any and all corners. I have tried using crisco to help maae it a little more pliable and still I have the same trouble. I have kneaded it well...and not so much. I have used colored and colored it myself. I am using Satin Ice fondant. Any suggestions? Also, I have a little trouble with "wrinkling". TIA.

6 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 7

Are you rolling it really thin? I've heard people say to roll it thicker, like 1/4" at least, to avoid ripping.

tx_cupcake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Are you rolling it really thin? I've heard people say to roll it thicker, like 1/4" at least, to avoid ripping.

Agreed! 1/4 of an inch thickness is ideal for covering cakes. I work pretty exclusively with fondant, and I have found this to be key. Another thing you may want to consider is buying Sugarshack's Flawless Fondant DVD. She teaches a technique that prevents the fondant from drying out and cracking. Obviously, I can't share it but the DVD is well worth the investment. It will save you precious "will to live" and frustration![/b]

splash2splat Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 7

I have found that if you do not have enough moisture in the air it can cause your fondant to crack and tear so I always have a pot of water boiling on my stove while I am working with fondant.

Are you making your own fondant or buying fondant and if you are buying what brand are you buying?

AllyR Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 7

I have to say that I DON'T LIKE using Satin Ice. It's the only store bought fondant I have tried but I was so unhappy with it. I used it to make a black road on my son's race track cake and it looked dry and cracked by the am. I make my own MMF and I never have that problem. I roll it a bit less than 1/4 of an in for covering and i dont have problems. The MMF is very pliable and is easy and cheap to make.

HTH
Ally

tracey1970 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 7

That's too bad icon_sad.gif I use Satin Ice on every covered cake, and I love it. I roll mine out on shortening versus corn starch or powdered sugar. Also, as was suggested earlier, roll it out a bit thicker than some might think. I hope you can find a solution.

pattigunter Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 7

I switched from Satin Ice to FondX and absolutely love it. I dont use it much but its a lot easier to roll out and apply.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%