Painting On Fondant

Decorating By Tinabug1979 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 3:26am by Deb_

Tinabug1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabug1979 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:35am
post #1 of 6

Ok, so i have read on here, something about using vodka or extract with color to paint on fondant. But one of my questions are will the paint be sticky? Will it dry ok? And also, can I use a liquid food color? I wanna do a zebra stripe cake, but it takes so much black to get the fondant as black as I want it, So could i just paint the stripes on? Any info will be helpful. Thanks!

5 replies
bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:47am
post #2 of 6

Vodka is the preferred medium for painting on fondant as it evaporates quickly and leaves no taste. Liquid food color will probably not work as well as the paste with vodka. You could also try cocoa butter painting and mix a little black into your cocoa butter mixture (food grade cocoa butter and cocoa powder). Good luck.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 6

The only negative to "painting" all those zebra stripes is............"eating" them. They'll be a lot of "black" teeth at the party.

Are you covering the cake in white fondant and then painting the black stripes on the fondant? How about cutting the "stripes" out of black fondant and laying them on the white cake?........at least it will be dry.

I painted on a gumpaste/fondant teacup with vodka and gel color (burgandy) yesterday afternoon and the paint is still not dry. I'm hoping it does dry but I'm thinking because the color is so dark and I needed a LOT to get it dark that it may not dry completely. But, nobody will be eating this so I guess it'll be OK.

Good luck!

Tinabug1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabug1979 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 6

Well, I was gonna cover it in a pink fondant, then do the black stripes... But, since it's gonna take so much black to make the stripes, (and the nearest Michael's is 50 miles away), I have pretty much changed the whole cake up now. Now, i'm thinking, I'll just do buttercream icing, and smooth it as good as I can, and do little balls all over it. If i had planned this better, I could've got all the right stuff to do it with. But this idea just popped into my head last night, and I didn't realize I was almost out of black.
Plus, I didn't even think about the black teeth!! LOL That would've been too much goodie for the dime!
Thank you tho, for trying to help me. I should just plan things out a little better next time.
Well, I guess it is a good thing noone will be eating the teacup! That's good to know next time. It will take some time to dry!
Really, Thanks again. icon_wink.gif

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 6

I am so glad I came across this. I can't help you in any way, because I have the same question. I am making a golf cake this week for my bosses "retirement" party. I molded my trees, golfer and caddy this weeked but I didn't color my fondant. Wasn't sure how things were gonna turn out so I didn't want to waste it. NOW, can I take a paint brush and some of those little jars(?) of icing color from wilton and paint the items? Or do I need to squish it all, color it and then mold again?? And can I use those little squeeze bottles of food coloring to paint them?? AND do I have to use Vodka?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcitycakes

I am so glad I came across this. I can't help you in any way, because I have the same question. I am making a golf cake this week for my bosses "retirement" party. I molded my trees, golfer and caddy this weeked but I didn't color my fondant. Wasn't sure how things were gonna turn out so I didn't want to waste it. NOW, can I take a paint brush and some of those little jars(?) of icing color from wilton and paint the items? Or do I need to squish it all, color it and then mold again?? And can I use those little squeeze bottles of food coloring to paint them?? AND do I have to use Vodka?

You can use the Wilton gel colors to paint them. I thinned my gel colors a bit by dipping my brush in a little vodka first and then the gel. If you need a lot of 1 color you can pour a little vodka into a small dish and add the gel color to it, then use the paintbrush to paint it on the piece.

I just checked my teacup and it's finally dry to the touch, so it took about 36hrs total drying time on 50/50 gumpaste/fondant.

It depends what look you're going for......painting the piece after it's dry won't give you as deep a color result as it would if you tinted the gumpaste or fondant first, but it will color it.

HTH

If you need any help just pm me!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%