What A Day!

Decorating By Calejo Updated 19 Aug 2005 , 4:32pm by traci

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so most of you know that I work in a bakery. Well, in this bakery, we cut our 1/4 sheets out of our full sheets (same with the 1/2 sheets). During the week, I work for 4 hours at night (due to scheduling with DH's job - daycare and 3 kids.... not going to happen), minus 1 hour for cleaning and closing the bakery. So we're talking 3 hrs. to decorate any orders I may have and do cakes for the cold case.

Well, last night I had 3 orders to do. No big deal. I looked the orders over, determined what I would need and got to work. The first one (a 6" circle) went well, very cute and pretty, just the way they wanted it. The second one was an Elmo themed chocolate cake with whipped topping (lots of primary colors), already I'm groaning on the inside because of whipped toppings innate ability to make all things primary into pastel. Well, I got through it and was happy with the 1/4 sheet I had finished with all the lettering in different primary colors. "Happy 2nd Birthday so-and-so" was cutely and brightly written just so. As I'm putting the lid on it and arranging the order sheet (which includes the price), I notice how expensive the price looked for a 1/4 sheet. I thought, "That's odd...." That is when I notice it was supposed to be a 1/2 sheet. SOOOOO..... I run into the bakery freezer and not one full sheet chocolate to be found. I am going to have to run all the way the big freezer in the far back of the store. I figure if I'm going to have to do that, I might as well see if I'm going to need more marble too. I look in the cooler and there is no 1/4 sheet marbles (this time I double and triple checked the size) for the next and final order in the cooler, so I'll grab that while I'm back there too.

I cut and decorate the 1/2 sheet (again, it truned out well), and I fixed the 1/4 sheet so that I can now put it in the case. Fixing it included removing all the lettering and resmoothing that icing around the frosting decorations on top of the cake so that no one could tell it was "fixed". After all that, I cut out my quarters from the full sheet marble, and decorate it. Turned out very nice, but now a lot of time has been killed trying to fix and redo the other order and having to do this one from step 1 (cutting a 1/4). I put the tag on it and put it in the cooler for them to pick up when I notice on the shelf below where I'm putting my cake.... a 1/4 marble that was not only cut, but someone had very kindly base iced for me. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Check Please!!!!

6 replies
luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 7

I am so sorry Calejo. I almost sat here crying for you as I read that sad story. It's too bad that every once in a while we all have days like that. Too bad not everyday can be perfect.

Too bad that person who base iced that last cake couldn't have left you a note letting you know.

Hopefully you don't have another experience like this one for a long long time.

Chin up girl! You do great work!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 7

I think we've all had those kind of days.. and all I can say is bless your heart!!! I feel for you girl ... just remember, think to yourself and say it out loud to reinforce it, tomorrow will be a better day!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 7

So sorry about your night but I do have a suggestion. When you are having a bad day, come home and look at your avatar. That thing kills me but only when it turns into evil banana!! icon_lol.gif I giggle everytime I look at it! icon_smile.gif

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 7

I hope today is a better day for you!!!!!!!!!!

After all, it's FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 7

I can laugh about it now no problem, but let's just say, I was feeling a bit flustered that night.

I don't know what it is about this job, but I seem to have the worst luck there. I lost my debit card to their automatic flushing toilet one day (I had put it in my back pocket). icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I liquidated my assets once and for all on that one! icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif And on a different day, I walked past a bun rack with a piece of metal sticking out of it and ripped a hole in the butt of my favorite workpants! icon_lol.gif I feel like I am trouble on legs there.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 7

Calejo...you are so funny! I am sorry you had a bad night! We all have those days when nothing seems to go right! But today is a new day and it's Friday!!!! Have a good weekend! icon_smile.gif
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%