I Need A Decorators Frosting Recipe

Baking By kim62808 Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 2:16am by prterrell

kim62808 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:12am
post #1 of 4

My frosting always starts to like seperate even if its temped right , and I use paste , I use all crisco sometimes no butter what is the problem ?

3 replies
prterrell Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 4

Paste? Which frosting recipe are you using? The butter/crisco + powdered sugar one? I've never heard of that one separating. Or are you having trouble with one of the meringue buttercreams (Swiss or Italian)? Those sometimes appear curdled, but usually if you keep beating them, they come together. Sometimes you have to either heat or chill the buttecream and then rebeat to get rid of the curdling. Take a small amount and test it to determine whether it needs heated or chilled. Also, if the meringue doesn't set before the addition of the fat (butter or crisco), it will collapse and curdle and will not be usable. Always make sure the meringue is set (sugar syrup/sugar + egg whites hot enough, beat until stiff peaks form before adding the fat).

kim62808 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 4

well taks fo the info ,,, to answer ur questiong I use the buttercream recipe mostley crisco in it and half a stick of margerine not real butter maybe thats the issue

prterrell Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 4

Sorry, I'm still not clear on which kind of buttercream recipe you are using -- there are many types of buttercream out there, but I will try to help as best I can.

Some have reported problems with the new trans-fat free Crisco. You could try switching to a hi-ratio shortening. Also, margarine doesn't work so well in any kind of buttercream, but especially will not work correctly in a meringue-based buttercream, those should be made with primarily butter (I use a pound of unsalted butter in mine plus one cup of shortening, which helps it withstand the heat and humidity down here in the deep South).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%