Cake Sides Splitting When Removed From Pan

Decorating By kellertur Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:01am
post #1 of 4

I use the bake even strips, grease and lightly flour my pans (even tried placing parchment on bottom of pan once), but the sides of my cakes are always "cut up" when removed from pan. How do you avoid this?
I run my knife alone the edges to release the sides completely, but am careful. Could this be part of the problem? icon_confused.gif

I noticed that when I use the bake even strips, sometimes my cakes don't fully bake along the sides... if I leave it in the oven the top burns. What should I do differently? If I don't use the strips at all, the sides cook too fast... how do you reach a consistent middle of the road on this...?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 4

I don't use the bake even strips. I bake my cakes at 325 and use CK pan grease. I have never had a problem with the sides sticking.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 4

Could it have something to do w/your oven not working correctly? You mention the top burning....that should never happen. Get a good, reliable thermometer.
I seldom used baking strips.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks icon_smile.gif

It was recalibrated three years ago after an oven fire, but a thermometer wouldn't hurt. I guess I've always thought the digital reading on stove/oven front of the stove was acurate. Our oven is only about 9 yrs old, next month, but maybe they aren't made like they used to be. Kind of like toasters... no more toaster repairmen in our now "throw away culture" icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%