Diamon Impression Mat For Fondant?

Decorating By forthwife Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 3:27pm by k96002

forthwife Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #1 of 12

Hello All:

I've seen lovely cakes with a quilted style diamond impression. I know there are diamond impression mat/sheets, will these work for fondant? It's it possible to impress the tops and sides and have it line up? I've also seen a quilting cutter/embosser will that work better? Thank you so very much!

11 replies
BarbaraK Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:34am
post #2 of 12

I use my impression mat on fondant and get great results. Check out the green cake in my photos.

forthwife Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 12

That was a lovely, clean impression. Was that done using one of the clear, plastic diamond impressions? I've also seen one that's black and presses in and am not sure which to buy. Thank you! Also, if anyone else has input, it's much appreciated!

patticake1956 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 12

I used the 3 Diamond cutter for my quilted cake and it worked great. You can get one online at Cakes by Sam or I think Global Sugar Art sells them too. It was very easy to use. I had heard that the impression mats could be a little difficult when rolling them on a cake.

Patti icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 12

I definately perfer the three diamond quilter for doing fondant cakes. I like it better than the mats because once you start getting towards the back of the cake, you can adjust the spacing a little here and a little there to match them up in the back. If you want my instructions, just e-mail me, I'm happy to share them.

Jen icon_smile.gif

k96002 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 12

Being new to 'quilting', is it easier to quilt ahead of time, then carefully lay the fondant without smoothing out the quilting, or is it something you do after the fondant is on the cake?? Seems like that would be much harder, but am afraid the other would smooth out to quickly!!

tonedna Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with Jennifer, the 3 diamond cutter leaves a better impression. Not that the mat can't be used, but the impression is a lot softer.
Edna icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 12

I prefer to use a quilting wheel and a right triangle as a guide. This way I can make any size impression, without having to have multiple mats.

tonedna Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I prefer to use a quilting wheel and a right triangle as a guide. This way I can make any size impression, without having to have multiple mats.

I done this..works great!..I think the good thing about the diamond mat is that is faster. Even the cutter is more time consuming. But all of them work well. In a week with more than 10 weddings I go for my mat..I need to crank it! icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 12

I know of a good sale on these diamond quilters, e-mail me

You can match up the back by adjusting the tool. I also have instructions written out if you want them.

Jen icon_smile.gif

BarbaraK Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:08am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by k96002

Being new to 'quilting', is it easier to quilt ahead of time, then carefully lay the fondant without smoothing out the quilting, or is it something you do after the fondant is on the cake?? Seems like that would be much harder, but am afraid the other would smooth out to quickly!!

The quilting is done after the fondant is on the cake.

k96002 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 12

Ahhhh...thank you!! I thought so, but it will take some practice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%