Tree Options

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 1:39pm by Julisa

sweetcakes Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #1 of 3

what options do i have for making standing up 2d or 3d trees, not the ice cream cone type. Im doing a hunting theme grooms cake and they have given me plastic deers and hogs to put amongst the trees, so trying to come up with some nicer trees to make.

2 replies
momade Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 3

What if you made them out of RKT? I made a very large tree using wire, but I'm sure the size your looking to make can easily be made just by molding them into the shape you'll need. I would start with the trunk and place a dowel into the bottom with enough stickout to be able to place it down into a thick piece styrofoam that has been covered with a piece of wax paper. Stick the dowel into styrofoam and complete the molding of your tree. You can either leave it sitting on the dowel or pull it off and let it sit to dry completely for at least a couple of days. Make sure you leave it to dry in a very low moisture area and DO NOT refrigerate. THESE ARE RKT's ENEMY!! Once your tree has hardened you can dust it. Place a long dowel into the cake (with enough sticking out) where you'd like your tree to be and place it down onto the dowel. I've made several 3D cakes using RKT (in my library) so if you need any help how I prepare RKT for molding just let me know. I'll do my best to help. I'm including the picture of my tree so you can see how the RKT gave the tree a nice texture. I had originally planned on covering the RKT tree with fondant, but once I was done molding I loved the texture so I decided to skip the fondant and just dust it with dusting powder. I was really happy with how it turned out. The leaves were just buttercream. You can definately make more branches on your tree so your leaves will fill in the top of the tree. HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1305442

Julisa Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 3

Depending on how big you need them, you could bake the cake trunk in soup cans, stack them with a dowl rod threw the miggle, then make the branches from gumpaste. Or use rice cerial covered in gumpase, just "shape them on a lolly pop stick whil they are still warm. Or if you don't need them to be edible, make the branches out of pipe cleaners stick those in styrofoam cones or cylanders (Spell??) then cover all that in gumpase and add the leaves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%