Decorating By cakecrazy09 Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 2:34am by beck30

cakecrazy09 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 11

I started a b-day cake this week before it was postponed until next Sat. I had already iced and stacked the cake. Thanks to all the helpful people on this site I learned how to freeze the cake. I put the cake in the freezer Friday night and when I pulled it out Sat to wrap it the icing has spots. I started with light purple icing and used Wilton purple spray on the tops and part way down the side. The spots are in the areas the spray touched.

I'm very new at this and have no idea how to save this cake.

So what are my options to get ride of the spots? Way to many to just cover up with decorations. Can I ice over it or do I need to scrape it and start again? TIA

10 replies
patticakesnc Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 11

I don't think I would ice over it..I personally would probably scrape it and start over...can you post a picture so we can see exactly what you are referring to though. There might be a chance of saving it without scraping once we see the actual problem.

BREN28 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 11

that happened to me also,only, after i sprayed the cake with the color i put it in the frige just to keep it cool,but noticed later the little spots of the same color,just darker. im interested in finding out why this happens.

tonicake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 11

I believe the spots are from condensation. I have never been successful with air brush and refrigeration/freezer.

How to fix it - I don't know, I just do not mix the two any more.

butterfly831915 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 11

I would say condensation as well. I'm with you on that one, gritswife.

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 11

Most likely condensation. The cake should not have been in the fzr overnight UNcovered. It only takes a few hours to chill it enough to wrap it properly.
Several have mentioned they 'sprayed' the cake.......if that means airbrushed it......and didn;t let the color dry before chilling that's the reason for the spotting.

cakecrazy09 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:18pm
post #7 of 11

I learned how to work with fondant in class last night. I think I will thaw the cake, remove some of the icing and cover it in fondant. Will that work?

kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 11

.....remove some of the icing and cover it in fondant. Will that work?......

cakecrazy09 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 11

Probably a stupid question I have to remove the frosting and do I have to defrost it? What if I put the fondant on while its still frozen.

mkolmar Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #10 of 11

Thaw it completely before putting the fondant on.

beck30 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:34am
post #11 of 11

Yes ive had to do hat before with the fondant, but make sure you let it thaw like someone else here said. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%