Do You Use Your Stovetop?

Business By lhayes1976 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 6:46am by KoryAK

lhayes1976 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 14

I am in the process of buying (used) items for my basement kitchen. There is a nice double oven on craigslist right now. So my question is, "how often do you use an actual stovetop? Should I get a double oven and maybe just a hot plate for things that need to be cooked? I sure do like the idea of having two oven goiing at once.

13 replies
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 14

The question is more "what items do YOU cook that you might need a stovetop for?"

As far as cakes go, I NEVER use a stovetop, but I know there are lots of CC'ers who use cooked icing recipes and cook their own fillings.

melissac823 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 14

I don't have a home kitchen, but I work in a bakery. We use a stovetop often to make icings that need to be cooked.

michellesArt Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 14

i use a cookie recipe that starts on the stove (and if you were to melt chocolate, make puddings ect) you would need a stove hope that helps

leah_s Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 14

I could survive fine with just a microwave and double ovens.

littlecake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:43am
post #6 of 14

all i have is a hotplate, and i rarely use that....i use the microwave a lot tho.

chutzpah Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:54am
post #7 of 14

For me, a stovetop is a waste of countertop space. I use a heavy-duty hotplate and that suffices.

Chef_Stef Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:46am
post #8 of 14

I got a convection and a range oven, because I use the range all the time for my IMBC, plus any simple syrup, cream, curd or custard fillings. I make my own curds and preserves, too, so--yeah, it's definitely a necessity for me, but it depends on your needs.

costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:59am
post #9 of 14

I use mine all the time, for the same things that chef stef uses it for. If you're not doing anything like that, though, you wouldn't need one on a regular basis, so you could get away without having one. The extra counter space would be nice!

bbmom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:14pm
post #10 of 14

f its a secondary kitchen anyway on the rare occasion you could just pop upstairs to make the occasional filling or cooked icing. Also, melting choc. could be done in the microwave or hot plate. I would think about how often I use a cooked recipe because it might be a hassle if you choose to leave the stovetop out and then find yourself having to go upstairs to make filling for every cake.

cakesdivine Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 14

Sure I do.................. as extra counter space...LOL! It is glass top icon_smile.gif The one at home is used daily for cooking.

snarkybaker Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:03am
post #12 of 14

I do....Meringue buttercreams, custards, curds, german chocolate frosting, pecan bars, ganaches, simple syrups etc etc etc...

An induction cooktop would work fine, but I would up it from a hot plate.

beck30 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:38am
post #13 of 14

Im just going to buy a hotplate also.

KoryAK Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:46am
post #14 of 14

I use my stovetop (2 burner) every day. for everything that snarkybaker said. I LOVE the fact that it has like a bazillion BTUs and heats it up fast. Not sure hot fast an induction burner goes but I am sooo happy I didn't just go with the hotplate like I had originally thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%