Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By MaxTRexmom Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 2:04am by jukesbox

MaxTRexmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaxTRexmom Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 9

Where can I buy it? Do any major chain stores carry it?

8 replies
mcshay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcshay Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 9

Actually, I find it easier to buy online because the nearest cake store that carries it in the DFW area is about an hour and a half from where I live. I can never find the time to drive all the way over and gas is keeps going up and down so much that it is more cost effective for me to order it online.

My favorite brand that I order is Sweetex. I get it from the Baker's Kitchen, and it generally comes in within 3-5 days from the day I order.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:24am
post #3 of 9

I don't think you can get at a retail store. Only place I found it locally was at my local cake supply store. You can also get it from www.countrykitchen.com and not have to buy the big 50lb size. They sell a 3lb size.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 9

ok, clue me in because all of a sudden i'm having trouble with my crisco recipe. what's the difference? can i replace hi ratio for crisco in my wilton recipe?

lauramw71 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 9

Do you think the trouble you can be having with the crisco is due to the no trans fat change? I have read about it on here that it has caused some issues with the buttercream. I normally use the store brand shortening, which still has the trans fat. NO idea why it makes a difference in the icing, but from what i've been reading it does. I haven't used the hi ration shortening yet, but recently got some for a cake I have for this week. What I understand is it doesn't leave that greasy feeling in your mouth after eating it, and creams up more smoothly. I purchased Sugarshacks buttercream dvd and after seeing what her buttercream looks like I was curious so I went and got some of the hi ratio. I know there's alot of different posts in the forums about it.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 9

i have been using the crisco since the change... but after hearing all this i need to know how your cake turns out this week!

lauramw71 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 9

I will definately let you know! I am excited to try her recipe. Just waiting for my wedding bouquet flavoring to get here.. Hopefully it'll be here on time. YikeS!!

lauramw71 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:42am
post #8 of 9

Well, I got my Wedding Bouquet flavoring today... It smelled sooooo good I had to try it out. LOL so I made cupcakes for the family and tried sugarshacks recipe. WOW does the hi ratio make a HUGE difference! There's none of that greasy film left in your mouth. and the Wedding Bouquet? OMG it's FANTABULOUS!!! My kids were like wow this is GREAT mom! The frosting actually tastes good. LOL
I have been just using the generic wilton recipe and butter flavoring, never again!

jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:04am
post #9 of 9

I'm with you, Laura! Sugarshack's recipe is to die for! I won't ever use anything else. Last September I bought a 50 box of hi ratio shortening. A couple weeks ago I ran out so I used WalMart brand until my order came in. I could tell the difference between the hi ratio icing and the "crisco" icing. It seemed like the "crisco" icing was grainier or something. The texture just wasn't as smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%