How To Stack A Cake!!!...look!

Decorating By tonedna Updated 10 Aug 2013 , 2:28pm by passion4baking

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:14pm
post #61 of 87

Edna...you are a blessing. Thanks so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge and I appreciate how you give your own time to explain things, answer questions & emails and provide these tutorials.

And on top of that, you always look so pretty and polished with every hair in place!!! I don't know how you do it all. You are a Super Caker!!

Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteums

Thank you!! I've used the straws before but I am so afraid of the long wooden dowel at the end. I have seen it done before and I am afraid of destroying the whole cake with it. Where do you get your wooden dowels? What thickness? and how do you sharpen it?

I get them at Michaels and clean them well..they can be sharpen with a pencil sharpener..For smaller cakes, wilton sells some too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

webbiedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webbiedeb Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #63 of 87

Edna,

You are truly a blessing. I think it is wonderful that you share your skill with us. It is truly an act of giving back. You cakes are wonderful as are your video. Thank so much.

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #64 of 87

Thanks! That helps a lot!

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:13am
post #65 of 87

Edna, I loved the video. I have had a fear of the long middle dowel bending the cake board under a layer and not going through, so I had punched a hole in the middle of the cake boards to make it go through easier. should I not do this? Also, how do you serve one of these cakes? Do you just start serving until you run into a dowel, pull it out, and continue serving? Do you ever miss and leave a dowel in someone's serving? Sorry for so many questions but I have my first wedding cake coming up. Thanks again for all your help.

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #66 of 87

Edna, with all these heavy stacked cakes is that why you have such a healthy collection of bakery assistants (aka Chocolate men) to help you? icon_wink.gif

tonedna Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:45am
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird59

Edna, I loved the video. I have had a fear of the long middle dowel bending the cake board under a layer and not going through, so I had punched a hole in the middle of the cake boards to make it go through easier. should I not do this? Also, how do you serve one of these cakes? Do you just start serving until you run into a dowel, pull it out, and continue serving? Do you ever miss and leave a dowel in someone's serving? Sorry for so many questions but I have my first wedding cake coming up. Thanks again for all your help.

That's why you sharpen the dowel, so it breaks the cardboard and it holds on to the drum at the bottom.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellBell22

Edna, with all these heavy stacked cakes is that why you have such a healthy collection of bakery assistants (aka Chocolate men) to help you? icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ...Chocolate man helping me would be no good!..I wouldnt work!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

CulinaryActor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CulinaryActor Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:02am
post #69 of 87

First I would like to say your video is great.
I would also like to say that I am guy and when you say hi ladies it just doesntvfeel right. I would like you t know many people decorate cakes both men and women.
Have a nice day.

tonedna Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by CulinaryActor

First I would like to say your video is great.
I would also like to say that I am guy and when you say hi ladies it just doesntvfeel right. I would like you t know many people decorate cakes both men and women.
Have a nice day.

Sorry....lol..I got to laugh at this..I didnt mean to leave the men behind, I just wrote it so fast I didn't even think about it!....I apologize!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:19am
post #71 of 87

Yes, I would love to know where your business gets the cardboard dowels.

And I agree, you look so different from what I imagined. I, too, was opting for an older lady. Funny how people don't look like you have them built up in your mind's eye.

Hey, I either conjure up a truck driver with the screen name Mac or maybe it is someone who is skinnier and younger....Ha! I would go for the younger if I could keep all my knowledge and experiences.

tonedna Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:24am
post #72 of 87

Well...I am not that young either!...icon_lol.gif I am almost 41
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:26am
post #73 of 87

Goodness, I would have put you in the early 30s...if not even late 20s.
YOU GO, GIRL!!!

tonedna Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:35am
post #74 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Goodness, I would have put you in the early 30s...if not even late 20s.
YOU GO, GIRL!!!

icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif Thanks!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:18am
post #75 of 87

Edna, Thank you for another great video! You are amazing! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #76 of 87

Thanks Bashini..Glad you liked it!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:49pm
post #77 of 87

Thanks Edna.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:44am
post #78 of 87

Great video Edna. It was well worth the wait for my laptop's memory icon_lol.gif .

tonedna Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:02am
post #79 of 87

Thanks!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:07am
post #80 of 87

Thanks so much for another excellent tutorial. You are very generous with your time and it's much appreciated.

I would have never thought you a day over 30, I think we need a tutorial on your fitness and beauty regime icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #81 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekoli

Thanks so much for another excellent tutorial. You are very generous with your time and it's much appreciated.

I would have never thought you a day over 30, I think we need a tutorial on your fitness and beauty regime icon_lol.gif

lol..I use to excersie five days a week. Lately I been so busy that has changed to 3 times a week. But excersice is the best!
Edna thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:27am
post #82 of 87

For those who ask me where to get the dowels, here is the website
www.ladymaryinc.com
The telephone is there, is best to call, they told me they are fixing the website.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #83 of 87

As always you are fantastic - loved your new video! The buttercream doesnt look like a regular crusting buttercream - what type is it? I know you are so busy but are there any thoughts on what your next video might be?

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #84 of 87

Thank you for sharing your techniques.

tonedna Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:39am
post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

As always you are fantastic - loved your new video! The buttercream doesnt look like a regular crusting buttercream - what type is it? I know you are so busy but are there any thoughts on what your next video might be?

Is as basic as it can be..totally..completely.,.100% crusting buttercream
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #86 of 87

One of the greatest things about this whole cake "thing" is how very generous so many people are ..with their ideas, techniques, etc.
Edna, you are at the top of the list! You have helped A LOT of people get better at what they're doing!! Beautiful..inside and out!

passion4baking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
passion4baking Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 2:28pm
post #87 of 87

Thank you so much for the video, it was so helpful. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%