Royal Icing Questions

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 8:26pm by antonia74

ptanyer Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 5

What is the best way to store royal icing and how long can it stay at room temp? I got over enthusiastic when mixing up some royal icing and have a bunch left over. I'd hate to throw it out if there is a way to store it - freezer, refrigerator, air tight storage? What's best?

4 replies
antonia74 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 5

If it was made with meringue powder, you can store it in a Ziploc bag (with the excess air pushed out of it) or in a very clean Tupperware container (press plastic wrap right against the surface of the icing inside to prevent it from crusting.) These can be stored for long term in the fridge/freezer (though it's not my favourite solution for brightly-coloured/dark icings, I find they don't regain their consistency perfectly IMHO), BUT they can also stay out at cool room temp (in shade, not stored in direct sunlight/heat) for 4-6 weeks, no problem. You'll see that it will separate into three layers of liquid/solids/foam after a while....but it just needs re-whipping to use it again. If you think you haven't stored it well or for too long, just give it a sniff before you use it. If it smells slightly alcoholic, just throw it out. thumbsdown.gif

If it was made with egg whites, it needs to go into your fridge or freezer. Same thing though, it will need to be re-whipped before using it again.

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 5

I have found meringue RI doesn't store well. I was always told not to frig it - just keep at room temp. It will last up to a week but after that it really starts loosing the ability to re whipicon_sad.gif
Are there not any flowers, plaques or such that you can make to use it up. I usually make swirled dropflowers. W/spring almost here daisies, tulips & daffodils are other flowers to make ahead.

TracyLH Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 5

Ziploc bag... dunce.gif Thanks, Antonia! I was making little RI sausages out of cling wrap knotted at the ends to store it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thanks for pointing out the more obvious, much better solution when all of my little containers are being used! I will give ziploc bags a whirl! (as I sit here laughing at myself!)

antonia74 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 5

Hey, no problem! icon_lol.gif They are even more convenient in all those different little sandwich/snack sizes they come in. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%