Cake Too Dry (For My Taste) And I Am Stressing!

Decorating By Tierney Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 11:39pm by mom262

Tierney Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 5

This is only the 2nd cake that I have sold, and the first yellow cake I've made. I made it the night before and wrapped it in saran while still warm in the hopes of retaining moisture. I had to double to recipe in order to make 2 10" cakes that would then be torted and made into a figure 8 shaped cake (2 10" layered cakes together basically). Well I filled the pans a little too full which resulted in being slightly overbaked.
I tried some of the cake this morning and I found it dry. I torted it and liberally applied sugar syrup to cut parts of both layers. I decorated it as per usual, it has a layer of buttercream and then is covered in buttercream as well, so I hope this will cut the dryness.
I am a wreck about this, it has me on the brink of not wanting to do this anymore. I don't charge much for my cakes as I am just starting out, so the cake I was making today I was only charging $35. Considering costs were about $20 and with baking, icing, decorating, etc; my $15 profit broke down to about $3/hr labour. Not much.
Anyway, my DH says the cake is a little dry but not sawdust and he would eat it and say it was fine.
I just feel horrible that I can't give someone my best and this is going to eat me up, that this cake is going to be at someone's birthday.
As a result, I only charges $20 to cover my costs and let the buyer know that since it wasn't 100% up to my standards I wouldn't charge 100% either. He thanked me for my professionalism and said he's sure it will be fine.

Make the guilt go away! Help me find moist yellow/white cake recipes. Ack, I have to do this again next weekend? I am thinking of throwing in the towel all-together!!!

4 replies
CakesByLJ Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 5

what recipe did you use? Had you used it before? Perhaps you omitted an ingredient, or incorrectly measured something.. don't give up, try to find what went wrong...

MBHazel Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 5

Could you cut through the cake without having to SAW it? I"m certain the syrup did the trick and they will love the cake.

You shouldn't feel guilty at all.

I feel sure that he will be back for another cake, another time.

dandelion56602 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 5

Are you wanting a scratch recipe? I've heard good things about SeriousCake's recipe

I like The Mermaid Bakery's---up the milk to 1 1/4 (I got the tip from moxey2000)

If you're looking for starting from a box & dr it up here are a couple

A favorite of a lot of CCr's

I do recommend using Betty Crocker for WASC & I've had success w/ using meringue powder for the egg whites & yogurt instead of sour cream

mom262 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 5

Sorry that happened. I always use a box mix, but substitue the oil that is required for unsweetened applesauce. I use the same measurement in applesauce, that the oil is for. The cake comes out moist everytime, unless over cooked. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%