Help Needed For Cake With Fresh Flowers

Decorating By smartieannie Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm by smartieannie

smartieannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smartieannie Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All
This is my first time posting though have been a member for a while. I love reading all your advice and tips.
I have been asked to make a three tier wedding cake with fresh flowers between the layers. just wondering do i use oasis or dummy cakes between the layers to hold the flowers not sure what to do,
Any advice is great thanks

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 6

I just tuck the flowers between the tiers. No oasis, no styro's, nothing to poke the flowers into. I just lay them in place.

Flowers are not that fragile. Many people think they will wilt in something like 20 minutes if they're not in water, but that's just not true.

I did a cake at an outdoor wedding, with live roses on and around the cake. 90 degree heat ... cake was set up at 2:00 and not cut until 7:00. Roses were still beautiful.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with Indydebi, just make sure your flowers are fresh when you do this. I like to use a small piece of floral foam in a container so it won't get the icing wet, it makes it easier for the caterer to remove the flowers when cutting the cake and I know for sure the flowers won't wilt. Maybe I'm just chicken.

smartieannie Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 6

I actually have to use roses so im glad they hold well.
the thing is she wants it to look like that. Here is a link because i cant post the pic
http://www.cakesandfavours.com/cake/pages/cake012.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 6

Oh that's pretty easy just to tuck the flowers in under the upper tier on that design. are you doing white on white like the pic or is she providing roses with color?

smartieannie Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah its white on white. The cake also has to travel so i cant put the flowers on myself i just have to have it ready to set up and the florist or brides mother will do the flowers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%