Black Icing

Decorating By enjoyscake Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm by kakeladi

enjoyscake Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have any suggestions for black icing that does not taste bitter? I have not had any luck and need to use black as an accent color for a cake.

7 replies
bettinashoe Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 8

Black is a difficult color to achieve. For accent pieces, I usually make a dark color, such as burgundy, deep orange or brown first and then just add enough black paste to get it to black. That cuts down on the amount of black color used. If you are doing a larger coverage with black, may I suggest Satin Ice (fondant) which is already tinted in black.

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 8

I actually myself have had experiences of all types with black icing haha.
Yes I do reccomend the black fondant if you could get away from it. IF NOT then start with a dark chocolate icing and dye that black, it takes waaay less black to dye it than white icing.

One thing I did notice is after you have added some black coloring to your icing if you let it sit a bit in room temp it darkens up.

Now if they dont want chocolate or fondant then do regular butter cream but I airbrush it black works like a charm.

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 8

Chocolate!! icon_smile.gif
Start w/chocolate buttercream then add a bit of black gel color. Use AmeriColor - or any the has the word 'super' in the color description. Get the color to a charcoal gray and let it set in the frig at least 12-24 hours before needing.

Black is a composite of all colors so when you finish decorating a project put all your tiny dibes and dabs of icing (2 drops up to 2 Tablespoons) into one container. Store in freezer. Doesn't matter which color they are - mix them all together. When you need some blk just add some black gel and stir it up icon_smile.gif I prefer to use a glass jar w/a tight fitting lid for this as usually the icing is fzn for a long time.

grams Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 8

For black buttercream icing I start with chocolate buttercream and add black coloring to that. Tastes great and doesn't use as much black coloring.

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 8
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Chocolate!! icon_smile.gif
Use AmeriColor - or any the has the word 'super' in the color description.

Sorry, Doll, but I have to disagree with part of this statement. I ran out of my AmeriColor Super Black, so I took a trip to the restaurant supply store, which is the only place open late on Saturday. They had two different brands of Super Black. Having had no previous experience with either brand, I bought both.

Here's where I start to sound like a commercial.

The first thing I noticed was the consistency. Both were thinner than Americolor. The next thing I noticed was that the color was not taking in the fondant, but after time, the color did not mature (darken) as well as Americolor does.

When the supply store opened on Monday, I got my Americolor and dropped off the other two bottles at my niece's house.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

angelicconfections Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 8

Yes black can be a pain. If I need black for only an accent color I usually cheat and use wilton's black icing in the tube. I do make it from scratch when I need a full batch. I use chocolate frosting for this, the buttercream colors, including black in chocolate tend to look gray and then darken up after sitting for a bit. One thing I have noticed is if I don't let it sit to darken, the icing in the piping bag gets darker in my hand very quickley but then the shade doesn't exactly match the rest of the batch. Wilton's ready to use chocolate buttercream icing is the easiest to tint black but homeade will work with a bit more coloring.

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 8

.....angelicconfections said....use wilton's black icing in the tube......

Oh yes! I totally forgot ab out this. I have recommended this in the past. It is sooooo color saturated you can mix an equal amount of white w/it and still have black. I just cut off the flat back end and scrape it out of the tube to mix w/my b'cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%