Best "glue" For Gumpaste

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm by Cakepro

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I've made a teacup out of gumpaste and I need advice. What would be the best "glue" to use to attach the handle to the cup? I made the cup out of 50/50 gumpaste and mmf (both homemade). Everything has been drying for about 1 week and it's ready to assemble.

Thanks for your help,
Deb

8 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 9

Here is Nicholas Lodge's recipe for edible glue. I took a two day class from him last week and he is amazing! One hint he gave us is regarding using egg white as a glue. We used a lot of egg white in the class, but ... egg white works for two soft surfaces or one soft/one hard, but it will not glue two dried pieces of gumpaste. ~Martha

Recipe for Edible Glue

1. Bring one cup of tap water to a rolling boil and remove from the heat.

2. Add 1/2 heaped teaspoon of Tylose powder to the water. Stir well with a fork to break up the Tylose. Allow to cool, stirring often to dissolve.

3. If necessary, place the mixture in the refrigerator overnight to allow the Tylose to dissolve.

4. Place in an airtight bottle when cool. Has a shelf life of approximately 30 to 60 days, but will keep longer if kept refrigerated when not in use.

mbt4955 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 9

Another thought if you don't have tylose - I have made a glue by taking a small piece of fondant and dissolving it in water. It worked fine for me when I didn't have the tylose. hth ...

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 9

I was going to say tylose and water, but mbt4955 beat me to it! And she did a much better job! icon_biggrin.gif
mbt4955, I'm so jealous......you said it was wonderful, right?
Congrats!

mbt4955 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 9

sweetjan, it was amazing! Nick is an excellent teacher! He was in Austin for That Takes the Cake. I took a 2-hour class from him on Sunday and we made a gumpaste baby under a blanket with little bears and bunnies. Monday and Tuesday he taught Exotic and Tropical Flowers. I would love to go to Atlanta for a week (or two or three!) of Nick and gumpaste, but I guess I will have to stick with classes that are close enough for me to drive to. If you ever have the opportunity to take one of his classes, jump on it. I purchased his DVD's that are available on his website - haven't opened them yet, but I have heard great things about them.

Deb_ Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you both so much!

Martha, do you think it would be better if I re-made the handle for the cup and attached it while it was still wet to the already dry cup?

Thanks,
Deb

mbt4955 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 9

Deb, I'm definitely no expert, but we did individual petals, leaves, centers on Monday and attached them on Tuesday after they were dry. That way everything held its own shape. I think gluing your pieces together will work fine (probably better than using two soft pieces) and I certainly would try that before starting over. Do you have a way to support the handle while it is drying? The glue won't take long to start to set ...

Keep us posted and don't forget pictures! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 9

OK thanks.........the handle is pretty light so I'm hoping it will adhere quickly. I'll support it as you suggest until it's dry.

LOL.......hopefully it will come out good enough for me to post pictures, it's my first attempt. icon_lol.gif I did the teapot out of RKT, hopefully that will turn out ok too.

Thanks again..........I'm so happy for you that you were able to take some classes with Nicholas Lodge, I'd love to do that someday!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 9

Martha,

If ever you want a buddy to share expenses with you, I also want to take the 5-day Ultimate GP Flowers course from Nick. I was so sad to give up my seat in his class b/c of my back injury but was blown away that he gave me the instructional packet and assembled all of the supplies I needed. I also bought the DVD's he had for sale there.

Hopefully this week I can play with my new cutters and veiners! Have you posted pics of your gorgeous tropical creations?

Sherri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%