How Much Fondant Do I Need??? And.......

Decorating By sameera Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm by kakeladi

sameera Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to make this wedding cake and I am getting all nervous please help me.... I have so many questions...

I am attaching the picture of the cake she likes. But she likes the tiers to be ivory and swags in maroon.

I am making a list of questions:

1- what sizes of the tiers should be so the cake look balanced?

2- how high should be the each tier?

3- how much fondant will I need?

4- should I make the maroon fondant from white or should I use red fondant and mix it with black color? Or should I just put the white swags on and paint the swags the maroon color with brush?

5-So i need to make these swags in advance and dry them first and then attach them to the cake or should I place the swags directly on the tiers?

6- How many steps up to can I do in advance?

7- there is one more question but I can't remember it right now??...

I AM ATTACHING THE PICTURE.
LL

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 4

Hon I hate to say this but from all of those ?s you probably are not ready to make wedding cakes icon_sad.gif
However there are answers for you because we all have to start somewhere icon_smile.gif

1- what sizes of the tiers should be so the cake look balanced?.....
How many people do they need to serve? A balanced look will be to have each tier 4" smaller than the one it is on top of.

2- how high should be the each tier?.....
Again it depends on how many servings are needed but generally each tier is 4" tall; made up of two 2" layers of cake w/filling between them.

3- how much fondant will I need?.........
Depends on the size of the tiers.

4- should I make the maroon fondant from white or should I use red fondant and mix it with black color? Or should I just put the white swags on and paint the swags the maroon color with brush?
It probably will be easier to start w/red but it might not give you the right shade. Try a small piece to see. I would not make them white & try to paint them.

5-....need to make these swags in advance and dry them first and then attach them to the cake or should I place the swags directly on the tiers?........
NO don't make them ahead - put them right onto the cake once formed.

6- How many steps up to can I do in advance?
Make (or buy) the fondant; color it. Make flowers. Bake cakes (and fz) up to 1 month in advance. Prepare your cake boards - especially the base.

sameera Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you Kakelady. I know I sound like an stupid immature, but I have made buttercream wedding cakes before using sizes 14, 10 and 6. But, the cake in the picture above does not look like that tiers have 4 inch difference. I also have used fondant to make small cakes but not a wedding cake. that's why I am getting a little confused.

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 4

O.k. icon_smile.gif Well it was hard to tell from the way you posted your ?s.....
forgive me - didn't mean to make you feel stupid really.

I hope what I have said will help guide you some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%