Tylose And Tragacanth And Gum-Tex Oh My!

Decorating By CakeMommy3 Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm by Cakepro

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:49am
post #1 of 6

There's too many! I don't know which one to use! I use MMF, but it's altered a bit with some corn syrup and glycerin in it-I don't know if that will make a difference here. I want to know what to add to it if I want to make flowers, and what to add if I want to make figures. And how much do I add? Is there some awesome place you can go where all the different gums are explained in one spot? I am so confused. Any help with be greatly appreciated thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:07am
post #2 of 6

I'm pretty sure there are lots of threads on here about all of those, just search them up!
I'm not an expert and don't use MMF, so I'm not sure how any would work. My personal experience is I don't like gum tex...at all!! Of course, something that's totally disastrous for me, might work wonderfully for you. I make the Nicholas Lodge recipe for gum paste using tylose. Being new at this, I found it really nice to work with to make flowers. I know the gum tragacanth is good stuff, but real expensive depending on where you live or not that easy to get.
What kind of flowers did you have in mind of making?

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:09am
post #3 of 6

Oh and I've read that lots of people use tylose in their fondant when they want to make flowers or have the fondant be a little stronger and dry harder than it normally does. I guess MMF has all the basic elements of any other fondant so I don't see why it wouldn't work. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 6

Trag is the original gum used in decorating. It is not easy to find, expensive and is not white.
Tylose if a brand of synthetic gum. It is very easy to obtain and use and is white.
Gum-Tex is a Wilton attempt to mimic Trag. It works o.k. but is not as stretchy as trag or Tylose. It also is not white.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 6

I add a small amount of tylose to my fondant (MMF or regular) to make figures and flowers. The ratio is somewhere around 2 Tblsp for 2 pounds. I do it more by feel that measuring now, but I think that's about what I used to measure it out as.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 6

It's 2 TEAspoons per pound if you are using a soft fondant, like Fondx or Satin Ice.

I just finished 4 days of classes with Debbie Brown, and the 2 tsp of Tylose per pound of Wilton fondant was too much. 2 tsp per pound of FondX was just right. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%