Which Edible Image Printer Do You Use?

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm by renee2007

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 15

Sorry if this has been talked about already. I looked back a few pages and there is info on using the images but nothing really on exactly what printer is used.

I have been Googling this for two hours now and am confused as ever. I get that certain models of Canon and Epson take food safe ink but I don't know if I need a 4, 5 or 6 color cartridge. And one site gave me like 50 models to chose from without telling me anything about any of them.

I really just want someone to tell me which one(s) they use and if they like it.

And this KopyKake site that is listed in one post SUCKS! It is hard to maneuver, everything is unclear, nothing links to anything of importance, ggrrrr. I'm sorry, it's late and I'm frustrated and I just want to know which printer to use, lol. TIA for any info you can send my way or if there is a page for this in the cake area somewhere, I don't venture out of the cookie room.

ETA: I would like a Canon one since my husband works for a copier store and he can get me a discount and service it if anything goes wrong.

14 replies
jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 15

I use WalMart's. Ha! Ha! Until I get one of my own, I take my pictures there and they run them through for me. They've been really nice about doing them for me and if they don't like how they turn out, they'll run it through again and I get to keep the "bad" one -- no charge.

I too, am looking for an edible image printer. Try http://tastyfotoart.com/ . They have the whole kit for $319 (they went up -- used to be $299): printer, ink, software, and sheets. Their printers use icing sheets and rice paper. According to their website, they don't have any trouble with "gumming up". This is the one I'm leaning toward when I've saved up enough money.

Those printers listed on the Kopy Kake website are hard to find. Good luck and let us know what you find![/url]

HeidiCrumbs Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:19am
post #3 of 15

WHAT?!?!? WalMart has this service? Do you get to take them home that day or do you have to order them to be shipped? I am stunned. Do all WM have this or just certain ones? I am off to look at the site you linked, thank you so much!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:35am
post #4 of 15

Other grocery stores will do it too, you just have to ask them nicely! Anywhere they advertise edible images, they can do it for you. Gotta say though, if you want multiple images for cookies, that might be beyond the technical capabilities of the bakery staff. I asked once and it sent the girl into a blind panic.

I have a Canon and have had nothing but trouble with it. The main problem is having to remove the chips from the regular ink cartridge and putting them onto the food ink cartridge. This has caused me no end of grief. If anyone were to tell me that the cartridges now come from kopykake with chips installed I might try be tempted to try again!!

If you do go the Canon route, you can use pretty much any printer, I think. I worried and worried about which one to get, and then figured that all the 4 cartridge models would work for me. The one good thing about Canon over Epson (as I understand it) is that you can remove the print head to clean it if it clogs - and from my experience, it will.

Wow, this all sounds so negative. Sorry about that. Good luck whatever you decide to do. thumbs_up.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:46am
post #5 of 15

I have an epson NX400 and I love it. It so much nicer to be able to print what I need from home instead of going to the bakery icon_lol.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:04am
post #6 of 15

Here's a link to the thread about what printer others are using:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=617044&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=printer&&start=0

Hope it helps you out!

I haven't used my printer yet, because I still have to order the edible ink.
I just bought the Epson NX 200, the Epson NX 400 was sold out, but both printers work with the KopyKake edible ink TO695SET-4. I talked to KopyKake to double check on this. I bought my printer at Target on sale for $49.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 15

Susie, thank you so much, that's excatly the kind of link I was looking for.....10 pages!! WOW! I hope after reading it I will know exactly which one to buy.

Looks like it may be an Epson after all.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 15

You're welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Other grocery stores will do it too, you just have to ask them nicely! Anywhere they advertise edible images, they can do it for you. Gotta say though, if you want multiple images for cookies, that might be beyond the technical capabilities of the bakery staff. I asked once and it sent the girl into a blind panic.

I have a Canon and have had nothing but trouble with it. The main problem is having to remove the chips from the regular ink cartridge and putting them onto the food ink cartridge. This has caused me no end of grief. If anyone were to tell me that the cartridges now come from kopykake with chips installed I might try be tempted to try again!!

If you do go the Canon route, you can use pretty much any printer, I think. I worried and worried about which one to get, and then figured that all the 4 cartridge models would work for me. The one good thing about Canon over Epson (as I understand it) is that you can remove the print head to clean it if it clogs - and from my experience, it will.

Wow, this all sounds so negative. Sorry about that. Good luck whatever you decide to do. thumbs_up.gif

icon_biggrin.gif You can buy them with the chips on now thumbs_up.gif

HeidiCrumbs Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 15

What exactly is a chip? I couldn't find anything on the links I was looking at. People seem to hate using them or changing them or something, I just don't get what they are. But I am glad you can get them on the cartridges already, for whatever reason, lol.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #11 of 15

Hi. I use a cannon and am pretty satisfied with it.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Really? From KopyKake or somewhere else? Thanks for this info.

Heidi - the chip is the tiny silicon chip which comes on the cartridge and tells the printer how much ink is left. The Kopykake ones used to come without chips, so you would have to pry one off the non-edible ink cartridge and reinsert it onto the edible one. In doing so, this screwed up my chips so the printer saw some of the cartridges as empty when they were full etc. Pain in the bum, but if the new ones come with chips, maybe I will try again!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:58pm
post #13 of 15

Tubbs - My old printer just died and I had to buy a new one and Kopykake as well as Tasty FotoArt (I think) both sell them with the chips on now.

As far as printers, I had a Canon and liked it, but now I have an Epson NX400 All-In-One and I LOVE it!! It was on sale and I paid next to nothing for it too! icon_biggrin.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Really? From KopyKake or somewhere else? Thanks for this info.

Heidi - the chip is the tiny silicon chip which comes on the cartridge and tells the printer how much ink is left. The Kopykake ones used to come without chips, so you would have to pry one off the non-edible ink cartridge and reinsert it onto the edible one. In doing so, this screwed up my chips so the printer saw some of the cartridges as empty when they were full etc. Pain in the bum, but if the new ones come with chips, maybe I will try again!

Yes, Kopyake sells them, but they are considerably more expensive than the ones without the chip. Worth it if you find it frustrating though icon_smile.gif

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #15 of 15

Hi, I have an epson cx7400 and I love it. I don't do alot of edible images but the ones I do come out great, no problems yet. I got it on amazon for like 60.00. I hadn't used it for about 4 months and just used it the other day and it worked perfectly. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%