Buttercream Roses Help

Decorating By favrtdtr Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 7:06pm by favrtdtr

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #1 of 4

I am a very amateur cake decorator having taken the Wilton classes and made a couple of extra cakes. I've only used the Wilton recipe for buttercream with the Crisco. My sister would like me to make her a cake with chocolate frosting and some chocolate buttercream roses - but only if I can make them without the Crisco - can you make buttercream frosting with all butter and have it be the right texture for roses and stuff?

Judi

3 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:03am
post #2 of 4

I think you could, as long as the cake was going to be indoors, and not in the sun or anything. I would make sure that the butter was at room temperature before making the icing so that you get a true feel for the consistency when you are adding the powdered sugar. You might have to test it a few times to make sure you have it right. Just out of curiosity, why no Crisco?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 4

Sure you can. I've never used crisco in my chocolate icing. It is quite stiff from the beginning and I have to thin it to ice a cake. You can control the consistency by not putting as much milk (or whatever you use).

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommy3

I think you could, as long as the cake was going to be indoors, and not in the sun or anything. I would make sure that the butter was at room temperature before making the icing so that you get a true feel for the consistency when you are adding the powdered sugar. You might have to test it a few times to make sure you have it right. Just out of curiosity, why no Crisco?

I have no idea why no Crisco - she was just absolutely adamant on that. People can be weird with their ideas on food and stuff - especially in MY family, LOL. Thanks for the advice tho

Jammjenks - thanks. I'd never tried it before so I was nervous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%