Caramel Oozing Through Crack In Fondant..how To Patch?

Decorating By JodieF Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 3:13am by JodieF

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #1 of 3

I've worked on a cake for my sons' recital reception tomorrow for 7 flippin' hours today. It's finally done, and I really like it! But, when I was putting it back in the fridge I see a crack in the fondant, and the caramel I used between the layers is oozing out. This is a double layer 11x15, layers split and the 1st and 3rd layer filled with brown sugar SMBC, chopped Snickers and then drizzled with my homemade caramel. I didn't think I had it too close to the edge. The center only has the SMBC.

This is a book cake, and the crack is about 2 inches up on the white "pages" side of the cake, so, if all else fails, it will be turned to the back. It has to make a 2 hour drive, and it's supposed to be 70 tomorrow, so, even though it'll go straight from the fridge to the car, the cake will warm up by the time we get there.

What's the best fix? Right now I'm just letting it ooze, figuring better out than in at this point. Will patching it with white RI in the morning patch it? This is really aggravating.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Jodie

2 replies
cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 3

can you freeze it for a while to harded the filling then patch the fondant with tiny brush of H2O and "glue" more fondant in place, since it's a book maybe you can make a fondant paperclip, pencil, or eraser(something booky) and strategically place it over the patch?

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 3

Looks like I'll have to do a fondant patch no matter what...the caramel has stained the white fondant. icon_cry.gif Now I have some plastic wrap up against the side, so any caramel is running down that.

The cake is a "dummies" book cake. I can't think of anything to make to cover it! Maybe my brain is just dead regarding this cake right now. This is why I don't sell cakes!

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%