In Over My Head

Decorating By Mandeepthemom Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 6:31am by xstitcher

Mandeepthemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandeepthemom Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 10

A friend of a friend wants this Harley cake....I practiced doing the Harley Logo last week with piping gel...looked pretty good...couple of questions
1) Should I do a fbct for the logo instead...I have never done one...
Will it look better (the piping gel one i did looked pretty good.
2) I am going to use a chocolate WASC recipie....however...the cake needs to be delivered Friday, was going to bake and freeze today and decorate on Thurday (the party is for Saturday)....should I freeze a WASC cake or should I just make it fresh on Thursday....

The reason for my stress as I talked to the client and it's for her wedding...yikes...and I want it to be perfect...
3) she's having 12 people there...is a 10.5 inch pan ok...that's the biggest round one I have....

4) is is cheesy...but I have mini oreos and I was going to cover them individually with the black fondant for the wheels on the bottom...is that a commonw practice for cc'ers out there...I think it would be easier for me to get the wheels all perfect...

any suggestions/answers will be great

thanks
LL

9 replies
armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 10

OK...let's see if I can cover all this. lol First. I would try to bake later in the week. I'm really not a fan of freezing cakes. I guess that is up to you though. For this design, I would probably just pipe it. You can make a template and transfer to the cake. I have never tried a fbct. A 10 inch pan should be plenty enough especially if you do a double layer. According to my "party servings" chart, an 8 inch round would serve 20 and my "wedding servings" chart sys an 8 inch round will feed 24. A 10 inch round will give generous servings for 12 people. I think if you use the oreos you will have to make the fondant thick enough so that it doesn't show the texture on the cookie. You could just use a small round cutter to cut your circles and round the edges with your fingers. Even the white on the tires could be done with fondant and a smaller cutter. Not sure on how skilled you are yet or your daily schedules, but I think the whole cake could be done in one day. Bake first thing in the morning, while they are cooling, start any fillings and frostings, cut your findant, etc...then put together in afternoon.

Good luck! Hope I was some help. Feel free to pm anymore questions.

Teresa

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #3 of 10

couple of questions 1) Should I do a fbct for the logo instead...I have never done one......Will it look better (the piping gel one i did looked pretty good..........
Not sure where you plan on putting this fbct or gel decoration. Flat on the cake? Top or sides?

.......2) I am going to use a chocolate WASC recipie..cake needs to be delivered Friday, was going to bake and freeze today and decorate on Thurday (the party is for Saturday)....should I freeze a WASC cake or should I just make it fresh on Thursday..........

Sure you can bake today (if it's not too late). WASC cakes fz very well. You will be way ahead of the game icon_smile.gif

The reason for my stress ... it's for her wedding...yikes...and I want it to be perfect... 3) she's having 12 people there...is a 10.5 inch pan ok...that's the biggest round one I have....

Your 10.5 round should be more than ample for 12 guests......In fact, as the other poster pointed out it should serve at least 15-20 for a single layer or up to 35 if 4" (2 layers) tall.

4) is is cheesy.....have mini oreos......going to cover them in black fondant for the wheels on the bottom...is that a common practice for cc'ers out there...I think it would be easier for me to get the wheels all perfect...

Sure go aheadicon_smile.gif

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 10

Well, I'd like to answer what I can. I have frozen the chocolate WASC, it turns out great. I may never make another cake without freezing again. It turned out so moist! The 10" pan is plenty for 12 people, especially if you're doing two layers. That's a pretty big cake. I try to make nice tall layers and my 9" pan feeds 15 easy, and they were BIG pieces of cake.

Honestly, I can't help much on the other questions, because I have yet to do a FBCT and I don't work with fondant. Good luck!

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 10

The logo in the picture looks like it could easily be replicated with the pin prick method to me. Or, I like chocolate transfer better the fbct. And I think the oreos would be fine. But, it looks to me like they just made a ring or a large dot of icing and flattened it out for the wheels.

HTH!

~mindy

Mandeepthemom Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:49am
post #6 of 10

okay...just made the chocolate fondant...not bad...let it settle and will make it black tommorrow....quick question about the WASC again...if I freeze it say tommorrow...and decorate on Thursday, will it still be moist on Sat......doesn;t the sour cream need to be refridgerated or does the state get altrered when I bake it in the cake....thanks...and sorry as I am NEW to this icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 10

Yes it will still be moist for Saturday. Also, cakes do not need to be refrigerated unless they have a perishible filling or icing. Adding milk, sour cream, yogurt, eggs, etc. to a cake does not mean refrigeration will be needed.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 10

........decorate on Thursday, will it still be moist on Sat......doesn;t the sour cream need to be refridgerated.......

It will be just fine from Thur to Sat icon_smile.gif It does not need to be frig'd.
Think about all the products you buy that contain milk, eggs, sc or other ingredients. Some of the commercially made coffee cakes etc were probably made 2-3 weeks before they ever show up on the shelf at the grocery store.

Mandeepthemom Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:54am
post #9 of 10

buttercream is not considered perishable is it...I make it with butter, icing sugar and milk and vanilla...if I use it as the filling for the cake it should be okay at room temperature for 2 days right?

thanks goodness for this site...I would not know who to ask if it weren't for this site

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:31am
post #10 of 10

Yes it will be fine at room temperature.

I also wanted to add that you could always do a Royal icing outline of the logo and use it as a stamp for your cake (if you don't want to do the fbct or the pinprick method). All you have to do is pipe the logo onto a piece of wax paper that has the logo (reverse image) taped underneath it. Let the RI dry hard (I just let mine dry overnight) and it made a perfect outline for me to use on the cake itself (I used a crusting bc recipe).

Good luck and I'm sure everything will work out just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%