Gum Arabic/gum Tragacanth, Can Someone Explain

Decorating By lucysmam Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 9:15pm by lucysmam

lucysmam Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 4

their uses, please?

I have been trying to find out all afternoon, using various search engines but the best I am coming up with is where they come from & where I can buy them.

It's only curiosity as I've seen them on the website I have been ordering from & wondered what they both do.

Thank-you [smile]

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 4
caroleje Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 4

Tragacanth is a powdered vegetable gum often used in gumpaste (as well as dental products, medications, etc) to provide flexibility, strength and superb elasticity to the gumpaste to such a degree that it enables you to ruffle extremely thin flower petals, butterfly wings, etc... so thin in fact that you can see through it/them. This can make the artwork more realistic-looking.

Other gums are available which are nearly as good (Tylose, Gum-Tex, Magic Gum to name a few) but Tragacanth is thought to be the 'cadillac' of gums. There are, however, a few drawbacks to using Gum Tragacanth. #1) It is very expensive #2) Need to use more (appx 1/3) than other gums #3) Can be hard to find (most pharmacies no longer carry it) #4) Gumpaste will be slightly less white.
I hope this helps!

lucysmam Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 4

Right, so gum tragacanth makes the paste easier to work with in a sense?

Thanks for explaining, I'm still learning was getting very frustrated with myself not understanding/being able to find what I was looking for

Quote by @%username% on %date%