Home Bakery Business

Business By cakenista Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm by e rose sweets

cakenista Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 22

can someone clarify what types of food would have to be refridgerated for example of why Im sooo confused so if you make a cake and you put eggs in it it would have to be refrigerated so I wouldnt be able to make cakes or cream pies or cookies or things made with cream cheese please help me Im not trying to sound dumb I just want to make sure I dont break the laws
I live In ohio so I know I can have a home bakery business I just want to do it right without having to get a licence but i will if i have to

21 replies
kelleym Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 22

Check out this article on the difference between potentially hazardous and non-potentially hazardous desserts:


MichelleM77 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 22

No cheesecake, no mousse fillings, no cream cheese. Cakes and cookies baked with eggs are fine (within reason and common sense; don't leave a cake sitting out for a week!). You can't do trail mix, sell your own dough (like if you wanted to sell your dough to someone to bake their own cookies), etc. Some fillings and icings are not okay (ganache because of the cream, IMBC because of the egg whites, custards, whipped cream icing, etc.) because they require refrigeration.


What Foods are Permitted to be Manufactured for Sale or Distribution by a Cottage Food Production Operation?

The definition of "home" refers to a residence that contains one stove or oven used for COOKING. Each of the food products identified in the law undergoes a heat step: bakery products (such as cookies, breads, brownies, cakes, pies, etc.); candy (including no-bake cookies, chocolate covered pretzels or similar chocolate-covered non-perishable items); jams; jellies, and fruit butter.

What Foods are not Allowed to be Manufactured for Sale or Distribution by a Cottage Food Production Operation?

"A "Cottage Food Production Operation is not permitted to process acidified foods, low-acid canned foods, or potentially hazardous foods or non-potentially hazardous foods not listed above. Low acid food means any food with a finished equilibrium pH greater than 4.6 and a water activity greater than 0.85. Acidified food means a low acid food to which acids or acid foods are added (Ex. Beans, cucumbers, cabbage, puddings, etc.). Potentially hazardous food means it requires temperature control because it is in a form capable of supporting the rapid and progressive growth of infectious or toxigenic microorganisms (Ex. Raw or cooked animal products, cooked vegetables, garlic in oil, CHEESE CAKES, PUMPKIN PIES, CUSTARD PIES, CREAM PIES, ETC.). Non-potentially hazardous food items/processes not permitted to be made or performed in a "Cottage Food Production Operation"--Snack Foods (potato chips, popcorn, trail mix, etc.); Cereals including granola; Repackaging of Foods; Production of Dry Food Mixes; Drying of foods including Herbs and Fruits, etc"

cakenista Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 22

you know I gotta tell you this website is the most fantastic site the people on here are so wonderful and kind and giving it brings warmth into my day I just cant get over it oh and I forgot so encouraging with words God bless all of you

snarkybaker Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 22

I heart you cake boss. I have been looking for this document forever!

cakenista Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 22

I heart cake boss too I just bought the software its awesome

hellie0h Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 22

Michelle stated it all, I wish all people who have a desire to create and sell food products wanted to know the food safety rules. Too many newbie food sellers have no idea and whats worse, they don't ask. I commend you sweetcheeks for doing your homework.

cakenista Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 22

Im the type of person that wants to do the right thing ,But to be honest The questions that I ask I think I hope Im not asking a silly question but I guess Im not. I did not know that I couldnt work with whipped cream type of bakery like cream pies so I cant do that because of the law so I cant add those to my price listwhich Im sad about cuz I make the most wonderful coconut cream pie

BeesKnees578 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 22

Hi, fellow Ohioans!

I am in Medina doing this out of my home, too! I am glad there are some ladies to commiserate and/or celebrate with.

I have a few ladies trying to get together to practice sugar art. . .maybe once a month or every other month.

Let me know if you'd like to join!


pennywells Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 22

I am also in Ohio, youngstown area and I bake out of my home. I do offer items that need refrigerated (fillings for my cakes). All that is required is a home bakery licence, which cost $15 a year. You call the Ohio State Argriculture department and they will send someone to your home to inspect. The inspection is very simple and the only requirements are that you do not have carpet in your kitchen and that you do not have pets. Once you have been inspected initially, they said that they would not do an actual home inspection again unless thier was complaints. It really is simple, I was nervous but was shocked at how easy it was.

e rose sweets Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 22

I am also from Ohio, and I called my county board of health office regarding a home bakery to see if I needed a license and I was only told no but couldn't sell anything that needed refrigeration so I have not been comfortable advertising and I make my prices way too low because again I haven't been comfortable with the info I received. So thanks for posting this info. thumbs_up.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 22

BeesKnees...I saw your post on an advertising site (maybe Decidio?) and wanted to say hello!

Sweetcheeks...Nice to meet you!

It's always nice to meet local bakers. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 22

Oh, there are shelf-stable fillings available. I almost picked up a cream cheese icing, but at $6.80, I wasn't ready to put that down (I know, I'm cheap!) not knowing if it is good and the list of ingredients put me off.

rose...you don't need a license to sell, so the info you got wasn't negative, they were just letting you know you don't have to have a license and that you could sell, just not anything that needs refrigeration...at least that's what I got out of what you posted.

I don't want to sell anything that needs refrigeration anyway. It makes me nervous! I don't have the room right now anyway for a separate fridge.

MamaSara Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 22

Hi Ohioans! I am in southern Ohio- Highland county area. I have an in home bakery as well. I don't use anything requiring refrigeration either! I will be getting a new fridge and then I will try to get licensed but right now I want to concentrate on getting my business off the ground first! Its so nice to meet people from my neck of the woods*grin* icon_smile.gif

mixinvixen Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 22

just came from the food service class (tn), which said that cream cheese icing is allowed, but the water content has be below a certain level...in order to verify this, you must send samples into your local agriculture office/school, and asked to be tested, and you must be able to provide paperwork backing the number up...this must also be done for butter based icings, like swiss meringue, french meringue etc.... obviously, the higher sugar content, the less water.

cakenista Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:43pm
post #16 of 22
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

BeesKnees...I saw your post on an advertising site (maybe Decidio?) and wanted to say hello!

Sweetcheeks...Nice to meet you!

It's always nice to meet local bakers. icon_smile.gif

Its nice to meet you too Im from Strongsville Ohio .I love talking and meeting new people I want to know everything there is to know about baking and especially cakes seeing as Im very new to it.Im curious Id like to know how other bakers felt when they had to make there very first pro cake for someone Im gonna be scared but so excited at the same time.

e rose sweets Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:13pm
post #17 of 22

Michellem77, I didn't think I got negative info I just didn't think I got a lot of info and wanted a little more info than what was given in the whole 2 minutes of the conversation. As I stated I was leary about advertising until I could get more info. Thank God for this website and the members.. icon_biggrin.gif

bubbles4500 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #18 of 22

Hi All-
I'm from the Toledo, Ohio area. I'd like to start out like many of you and do the cottage business non-licensed thing. I'd get my license, except I have two dogs....they're not in the house, they're in the garage, but it still counts against me. For those of you that are doing the cottage business way, how is your actual business set up? Is it a LLC? a sole propietorship? etc? I'd like to know the steps to actually getting official in that manner...I.E. how to be a real official business. Any info or steps that you took to officialize your name or entity would really be helpful.

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #19 of 22

e rose- I understand, no problem! I emailed people at the HD and the Ohio Dept of Agri when I had questions (cuz I hate making phone calls!) and that way I had it in writing too.

bubbles- You can register your name with the state. I believe it's $75. If you want to be a sole propietor, then you don't have to do anything, just claim your income under your SS#. You can file to be an LLC and that has a small fee as well. Double check with your CPA or whoever to make sure you are doing it all right. Animals in the garage shouldn't count against you to get licensed, at least I didn't think so. It says no animals in the house. Hmph, that stinks!

flamingobaker Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:13pm
post #20 of 22

Hi bubbles (and all Ohioans!) - MichelleM77 has given alot of great advice on this thread.

I am doing business as a sole propietor, cottage foods production.
I registered my name (it's good for 5 years). I keep a basic accounting of income & expenses and file under personal taxes. I could be liscensed, but I just can't give up the pet. (who is not in the kitchen, BTW!)
So I am "official", just not "big time". But that is where I want to be for now.

There is some information on here somewhere about stable cream cheese icings that I had asked about some time ago. I haven't tried them yet, but I'll see if I can find that thread when I get time.

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:35pm
post #21 of 22

flamingobaker, we are doing the same thing. I'm not ready to be big time either. Slow and steady wins the race, right? I would hate to get slammed with orders and be out of my mind trying to finish them, and then regret what I originally loved to do.

I am toooo scared to try anything. I even found a chocolate glaze recipe to use in place of ganache. I know it won't be as creamy and delicious, but I love the look of ganache (even though I have been told there is a stable recipe) and I'm a scaredy cat!

e rose sweets Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks MichelleM77 for all the info. I want to stay small for now also I work fulltime so I have no choice. I have been so scared, wondering if I'm doing everything legally that it probably harms business for myself.
It's good to have other people in my area and can share their knowledge again thanks. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%