Edible Image Color

Decorating By JBCakesCo Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm by tiggy2

JBCakesCo Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 18

Do any of you have a problem with the picture printing and it not coming out the same colors at the picture on the computer? Like my picture has more pink in it. I'm using a CX7400 Epson.

17 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 18

No, but I can tell you that my Cannon no longer recognizes that there is a black ink cartridge in it, so none of my pictures have black in them... I'm thinking I have to get a new one and it's not even a year old...
Have you tried playing with the printer settings and lowering the amount of magenta going into the pic?

veejaytx Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 18

I'm not absolutely positive about this, but when I was looking on Kopykakes website the other day, I think I saw a place to click that told you what settings to use on your printer.

I do know you can set your printer colors, but I don't know how, my DS always does those things for me.

Editing to give the link.

Yep, here is the link to the page I saw, maybe this will help you some.

tripleD Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 18

my canon always missed colors and never printed right. I just went to an epson and I love it. My canon always dried out on the cartridge and you always had to keep cleaning the head.I wasted more ink than photos were printed.
Them cartridges are more costly for food coloring.
The epson is great. I always print on the best photo setting and I have had no problems.

foxymomma521 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 12:59am
post #5 of 18

tripleD- what model printer do you have? I'm seriously considering purchasing a new printer...

Kitagrl Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 1:06am
post #6 of 18

Yes for some reason mine is always way too pink as well.

You can manually adjust color settings in your print menu. I always go in there and greatly reduce the "magenta" and then slightly increase other colors depending on the picture....usually print something out on regular paper first so I know how much more to adjust before printing.

Also have found that when I'm doing a round photo for a cake, the circle becomes slightly flattened upon printing. I have to drag it slightly oblong on my computer to make it come out right when it prints.

*shrugs* I guess its just part of it....at least on my printer.

JBCakesCo Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 18
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

tripleD- what model printer do you have? I'm seriously considering purchasing a new printer...

I have an Epson CX7400 I love it already just need to get these color settings right. I bought it off ebay for 35.00 and it was 13.00 for delivery.

JBCakesCo Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks for all the help guys the picture still looked good on the cake just wish it would have looked more like the pic I saved on the computer. But I'm going to adjust the colors and try that this weekend cause I have another edible image to do for a customer.

iris711 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 18

I was told to remove the edible ink cardridge after you are done using it and place it in the fridge, my mistake was I stored them the wrong way and it leaked all over. I have a new canon mp600 printer which i bought not to long ago only used it twice, now I ran out of the ink, the edible ink are so expensive, I have to use the one with the chip on it. Have anyone refilled their cardrigdes? I was thinking of doing it, but I wanted to know if anyone has experience with that. Thanks everyone.

JBCakesCo Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 18

I haven't heard anyone say put the ink cartridges in the fridge I have heard keep the paper in the fridge but alot of people say the ink does fine sitting in the printer it doesn't clog or anything of course it probably depends on what printer your using.

2txmedics Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 18

Ok, Ive had mine now almost 1yr in a box, never used. Found out I can use it for cakes, so I ordered icing sheets, and edible inks. Have it all now. BUT....

Since Im new to this, Im so dumb to this. Ive learned that even though you do an image (from reading/seeing) that you can see the outline of the icing sheet no matter what, only one cake picture have I seen, and you coldnt tell its back ground was all green.

But what I need to know now before I set up is this:
When I go to print my image, sound real easy. I find an image, put my icing sheet in printer and move image to print...HOW DO I KNOW WHAT SIZE I NEED for my cake, if its a 6" cake or a 1/2sheet cake? I dont want too small of an image and I dont want an image Im going to lose part of because its too big. HELP!!!!

Thanks to my CC Friends, you all have been my life savers.

JBCakesCo Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 18

I would say measure your cake see how big of an image will fit on the cake I just did a cake which I will attach that was a 11x15 sheet cake and I printed a 5x7 picture for it. I was going to do a 8x10 but the picture didn't fit right to the paper. I cut the picture out of the remainder of the icing sheet because it will show on your cake just used regular sissors to cut it. But the problem I've been trying to figure out is why my picture came out with such a pink look the actual picture doesn't look like that its got more green and such in it.

iris711 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 18

here's a b-day cake I made for someone who is a fanatic in wrestling. I used 8x10 image on the frosting sheet. The cake pan was a 11 x 15. I believe that if you are going to use the frosting sheet on a 6" cake you should use an image of 4x5. I think you should first print it on a regular printer with regular ink and place on the 6" pan before you use the frosting sheet. Hope that helps.

KookieKris Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #14 of 18

I've been doing this for years and I feel like I've come across any and all problems possible (probably not, but I certainly feel that way!)
and here's my advice:
Always take your ink out after using it ~ too many things can happen, it can dry out or leak everywhere. When I take out my cartridges I always place a piece of tape around the bottom where the ink comes out and put them each in a separate plastic baggie. I don't refrigerate them, although it may work, I've never heard of it.
You should "clean" your printer with regular ink. I know, I know, regular ink is toxic, but if you use edible ink, it won't do anything other than use up your expensive ink because it's water based. It'll just waste ink. I called Kopykake and this is advice that they gave me. They said when you clean it with the regular ink, not enough ink gets caught in the machine for it to be a worry. Who knew?
Also, make sure you're printing a photo on matte paper.
If it's still not working, maybe it's time to invest in a new printer.
I just went from my Canon ~ which I felt like I battled for every order I received to an Epson NX400 all-in-one for $60.00 on sale at Target and it works Fantabulous!!!
Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

JBCakesCo Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #15 of 18

I also already love my epson cx7400 and it was so easy to setup got it on ebay for 35.00. I bought if specifically for edible image I have a seperate printer that I use regular ink in because I heard about regular ink being toxic and didn't want to chance it. I just want to get this coloring right. I didn't click matte for the printing selection so I have a feeling that was my problem. I'm glad all of us have been able to chat about edible image it is something new and customers love it.

tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #16 of 18

If anyone is looking for software to use with their printer you can download edible artist here free http://www.deco.uk.com/content/view/101/137/ IMO it's much easier to use then the one from kopykake and you don't need "credits" to use it.

KookieKris Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #17 of 18

Wow ~ thanks tiggy2! I just downloaded and it looks SUPER user friendly!

Thanks so much for the tip!! thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm
post #18 of 18

You're Welcome! It is very easy to use, I just love it. I think it actually has more options then kopykake such as frames and backgrounds. Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%