In The Market To Get A Ka

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm by jocakes

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 17

Any suggestions on which model KA to get? I'm just a hobby at home baker for friends, but I'm finding out quickly my old Sunbeam I got for a wedding gift >10yrs ago just isn't cutting it. I'd like to know which model you suggest and where you get that after market beater/scraper attachment. If heard that works great!

Thanks

16 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 17

I am also a hobbyist, and I have a Professional HD bowl lift design that I got from Costco about 2 years ago. It's a five quart, and if I had been into cakes at that time, I would have gotten the 6 quart, but oh well. But I absolutely love it! I don't know about that specific attachment, but it sounds awesome! Maybe Bed Bath and Beyond? lol now I want one.

TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 17

(chuckling over here...) so many people here have started off posts with, "it's just a hobby..." icon_biggrin.gif

My first KA was the HD model, like CakeMommy3's. Between mega batches of buttercream and my new found passion for homemade bread, I have run it into the ground. Not that I am going to part with her (we are looking into getter the motor overhauled), we did finally jump in and get my new baby, the KA Prof 600. I picked that one because of the power of the motor, the volume she'd hold (6 qt bowl) and the ability (motor capacity) to do the heavier work that, over time, just slammed my HD.

The one thing I would recommend, if you haven't already done so, is to go out to the KA website. You can click on models and then cross compare them to each other to make sure you get the right model for you. Plus, if there is an attachment you want, they will have it. It also helps to have a baseline to comparative shop or even to special order through a local store.

Rather than order online and have shipping anxieties to worry about, we ended up purchasing at a restaurant supply store that also happens to be a KA dealer. Other choices for purchase around here on my model was the occasional Kohl's promotions. But the price at the supply store (open to the public by the way) was better, even with the extra 20 mile RT drive. I originally purchased my HD for $300 back in '99; I paid $360 for my new baby last week, plus no shipping, plus a pass to one of their onsite cooking classes.

TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 17

I'm just a "hobbyist" as well but I chose the KA Professional 600 as well! More expensive but it's worth every red cent!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 17

You can get a refurbished 6 qt Pro 6 KA from shopkitchenaid.com for $190 shipped using promo code VALUE3. Sign up at ebates and get $12 back from that as well. I've done this three times and have never been disappointed.

TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 17

Sweet deal! I have always been afraid of buying the refurbs - glad to hear from someone with experience. thumbs_up.gif

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 17

I want a KA so bad! LOL My husband says no way though...too expensive for just a hobby. LOL
I've "blown-up" several of the hand mixers....I told my husband as many as I've "blow-up" it's costing just as much to replace as if he just buys me a good one that won't blow-up so easily. He still won't buy me one though. icon_sad.gif

Cakepro Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 17

Any KA items that have been opened in a store must go back to KA for "factory reconditioning" which just means they get an additional round of testing.

All 3 KitchenAids that I've purchased this way were perfect (two 6-quarts and a 5-quart). Their customer service is so outstanding that I never worried about there being any problems.

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 17

I'm a hobbyist with a 5-quart. I love it. And I would buy from somewhere like Costco or Khol's, if possible. Costco has a GREAT return/exchange policy. I got mine on special at Khol's. I had a slight problem with it 3 years later, and they gave me a brand new one. No questions asked.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 17

i have a 4.5 qt and it's awesome. I think it came from Kohls as a shower gift. Kohls is running a big sale this weekend and they have the scratch off sale - 15/20/or 30% off.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 17

I have a 5 qt one and absolutely love it. It has held up to stiff buttercream very well, especially sugarshacks recipe. I bought mine 4 years ago on Ebay and only paid $69 inc 6 luding shipping.

I am looking to purchase a KA 6qt but haven't talked to anyone that had one to see if they were worth the price. From reading the previous messages, I think that the refurbished one with the discount and rebate might be my best bet.

Good luck on your future purchase. Which ever way you go, you will totally love it! thumbs_up.gif

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 12:28am
post #12 of 17

I will go online and check out the refurb ones. I live out in the middle of nowhere, so online shopping is not a scary thing for me. Would love to pick up the KA 600 for under $200. Thanks for all the advice.

Rcrewof10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rcrewof10 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 12:44am
post #13 of 17

I live out in the farm fields as well and I just ordered a 2nd kitchenaid. My first one came from acehardwareoutlet.com about 1 yr ago. I just purchased a 2nd one at everythingkitchens.com. Both of them are the professional 6qt. If you go to the last link they are offering the kitchenaid for $348.99 but you can purchase with it the pasta attachment for only $10. That is a huge savings. The price for the pasta attachment is normally $99.99. If you choose not to use that attachment you can sell it only and recoup some money. Plus both, I think, have free shipping if you are not in a hurry.

Have fun ordering!!

Michele

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 12:47am
post #14 of 17

When I got married 30 years ago I got a KA. Then when the big ones came out over 22 years ago, I got that one and put my smaller one away for my kids. My big one is still going strong but now have a question to all of you......

I heard KA mixers are not made by Hobart anymore. Any truth to them. I hate to buy another one if it's not the same quality so I'm really taking care of the ones I have.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 17

Cakepro, are you able to provide a direct link to the 6 Qt. Pro KA for $190? I searched the site and was not able to find it. icon_cry.gif
TIA!
Carla

Cakepro Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 17

You can buy a factory-reconditioned 6 qt KitchenAid (Professional 6) from the KitchenAid website for $191 shipped with promo code "VALUE3" which will take $47.80 off of the $239 price and also give you free shipping.

They are out of stock right now but tend to list new items on Mondays, so keep checking.

About "factory-reconditioned" merchandise....when merchandise such as KitchenAid mixers gets returned to stores, or they get opened in the store, the store is not allowed to sell them, so they get sent back to KA, who checks them out and then has to sell them as "factory reconditioned." A KA rep also told me that the ones that get used in photo shoots for ads and whatnot also land in their outlet section.

To make this deal even sweeter: if you go to www.ebates.com and then make your purchase after clicking through to the KitchenAid website, you will get 6% cash back for your purchase, which is $11.46. If you will send me your name and email address (click on the email button here at the bottom of my post), I will refer you to the ebates website and we then will each get $5, so ultimately, you can pick up this mixer for $175 - an absolute STEAL! Smile Also, when you register at ebates you will get a $10 gift card when you make your first purchase.

Once you're at the Kitchenaid site, scroll down to the bottom to go to their outlet store, then go into the Factory Reconditioned area. The first item is a 6 qt Pro 6 for $239. Click on it and from there you can choose your colors. You'll enter the promo code on the next-to-the-last page during the checkout process.

Enjoy!
Sherri

jocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocakes Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #17 of 17

I got mine from Amazon.com, just before xmas, free shipping and a $50 rebate, their pricing varies by color and I got a nickel pearl 6 quart professional for $305 after rebate. Arrived very quickly in 2 days by fedex which I didn't pay extra for

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%