*baking For Samples/tasting * Can I Do Cupcakes??

Decorating By mrsbriggs06 Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm by CakeMommy3

mrsbriggs06 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 2

Quick question, I'm just getting started doing cakes as gifts for family & friends.. I found the gourmet cake flavors thread & am anxious to try the changes you can make to the wasc cake.... I went on a shopping spree yesterday & got everything I should need to do 3 different cake flavors & about 6 filling flavors..

It will take me all day if i bake 3+ 6 inch cakes, since I only have 1 6" pan.. and still won't be much better if i use my 3 *different depth* 8" pans..

so I was thinking.. I have 3 cupcake pans...

could I do a few cupcake batches and then try the fillings on those???

these are mainly for personal consumption & passing to family/a friend or two...

or do i need to bake the actual cake sizes so that i can see how the filling hold up to stacking, etc???

they are all buttercream or cheesecake type fillings.. so i think they should hold up ok, plus they are 'tried' by others & not something I've invented on a whim *i 'created' a white choc raspberry ganache which did not set up like my chocolate ganaches do & I ended up with 3 layers of cake sliding off of each other--tasted great, though!*

thanks in advance!

1 reply
CakeMommy3 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 2

Since it's just for you and friends and family, I sure don't see why cupcakes won't work. I would do that. And since they are all "actual" recipes icon_smile.gif then you know they will work. So just to try out all the tastes, definitely the cupcakes, and then you can practice on larger cakes once everyone approves all the flavors. Then you know if something goes wrong with the filling, it's something you did and you just need more practice. Just don't forget to put a dam of icing (and sometimes icing mixed with some coarse cake crumbs if the filling is especially slippery) around your layers before filling and stacking. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%