Will My Cake Slip???

Decorating By LisaD923 Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm by CakeMommy3

LisaD923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaD923 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 2

Hi Everyone,
I'm still really new to making cakes for people other than family. A friend has commissioned me to make a b-day cake for her husband. She wants a 9in round Triple layer vanilla cake (no prob), b.c. frosting, with a raspberry filling.

I've not had problems stacking cakes w/ different frostings/fudgy type fillings, but I've never stacked one with a fruit filling.

Will my layers slip? How much filling should I use? I plan to dam each layer w/ the butter cream, is that enough to prevent it from sliding around?

Also, if anyone has a fav raspberry filling (that can be left at room temp), I wouldn't mind additional resources! Thanks Everyone!!

1 reply
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 2

When I use a slippery fruit filling, I like to mix some coarse cake crumbs in with the buttercream that I use for the dam-it makes like a cake cement. I don't make the filling too thick. I pipe the dam with what is about a tip 10 or 12 (I cut a parchment bag, sorry it's not more precise) and then obviously your filling won't be thicker than that. I've never gotten complaints on it being to thin. I don't know what you mean by triple layer-if you mean three 2 inch layers, or three one inch layers (that's what I would do). Also, make sure it's REALLY chilled before you transport it, and drive super carefully so that the layers don't slip off! You might put some dowels in it just to help keep it together. If you type in "raspberry filling" in the recipe search you will get some good recipes.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%