Dowel Rods

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm by kakeladi

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:28am
post #1 of 3

After putting dowel rods into a tiered cake, how do you get them out when serving the cake? ...or does a person get a piece of wood in their slice of cake YUM!! icon_lol.gif

Also, what do u use to cut the rods...it's sooo annoying doing it w/ kitchen scissors.
thanks,

2 replies
Trevie Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:43am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakesbydesign

After putting dowel rods into a tiered cake, how do you get them out when serving the cake? ...or does a person get a piece of wood in their slice of cake YUM!! icon_lol.gif

Also, what do u use to cut the rods...it's sooo annoying doing it w/ kitchen scissors.
thanks,

I send a note if I'm not the one cutting it, on how to cut it and remove dowels and support. Most of my support is bubble tea straws and then a wooden dowel sharpened with a pencil sharpener (when it fits) or a knife all the way through to the bottom cakeboard but not throught the bottom cakeboard. HTH!

kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 3

.........what do u use to cut the rods...it's sooo annoying doing it w/ kitchen scissors...........

Go to the hardware store icon_smile.gif Get yourself a very small hand saw.

Better yet don't use dowels! Use plastic drink straws. They are very strong and will support even 4 tiers of cake. Easy to cut w/scissors too icon_smile.gif
And you don't have to worry about them leaving a wood taste in the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%