Fondant Topped Mud Cake

Decorating By CupcakeMumma Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 5:07am by CupcakeMumma

CupcakeMumma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMumma Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:36am
post #1 of 4

My sister is making a wedding cake for a friend - she's gamer than me lol!!

But anyways the wedding couple want mud cake with white fondant. Now whilst I have covered fruit cakes with fondant, I didn't know what to tell her about covering a chocolate mud cake.

Can you help me with any tips, ie should we still use jam to sandwich the fondant to the cake? Or will the choclate bleed through the white icing. And how much before the day can she bake and decorate the cakes.

3 replies
jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:58am
post #2 of 4

Hi CupcakeMumma icon_biggrin.gif

You can still use jam on the mudcake before fondant or , more popular is covering the cake with ganache & after it firms, cover with fondant.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

dolphin2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphin2 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:30am
post #3 of 4

As Jules06 mentioned, ganache is what I use on all my fondant covered cakes, White chocolate Ganache is fab on chocolate mud cakes.
One main point is to have the ganache very smooth before you cover with the fondant. (my Favourite Fondant is Fondx which does have a slight vanilla/marshmallow flavour, but its great for people new to cake decorating as its a little more forgiving or should I say giving in problem areas like edges and corners, you dont seem to get that elephant skin effect so much).
Depending on the weather, most mud cakes really should be eaten approx within a week, Ganache lasts about that long too as it has cream in it. Fondant ofcourse can last for a long time.
Say for a Saturday wedding, I would bake cake on Tuesday, cover and put in fridge, Ganache on Wednesday into fridge again and cover with fondant on Thursday that way you have friday for any other decorating you are planning to do, once you have fondant on dont sore in Fridge, but keep in a cool place, pantry, cupboard etc.
I make themost fab moist very rich chocolate cake, (has oil in it so it lasts for approx a month before it has to be eaten) Ive never got to push it that far as we LOVE cake. Very like a Mud cake but not.
Good luck to your sister and I hope Iv helped in some way. Cheers Nicole (Sarniquescakes)

CupcakeMumma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMumma Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:07am
post #4 of 4

thank you so much, sorry for the delay in coming back and saying thank you !!!!!

That's so helpful for her icon_biggrin.gif

So do you have a really yummy ganache recipe to use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%