How Thick A Filling/icing?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 3:25am by Ruth0209

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:21am
post #1 of 8

How do you acheive the look (once sliced) where the layers of cake and icing seem uniform and just clean and gorgeous? When I cut into my cakes, it's a mit messy looking. I've seen cakes that almost look mathmatical when cut. It's visually stunning. I had no idea cake could be as beauiful on the inside as out.

How thick do you spread on your icing/filling? I would really appreciate your help. I don't think I put enough...

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:29am
post #2 of 8

here here... i am totally with you... i would love to know the answer to that also... or is it they add something to the icing to keep it nice and firm and uniform as you put it... cant wait to hear the responses...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:19am
post #3 of 8

The type of knife used when cutting the cake makes a difference in how a cut cake looks. (I'm getting rid of my current cake-cutting knives and buying higher quality ones just for this reason.)

Having nice, level cakes enables you to have a level layer of filling. To be honest, some of these cake shows I watch, I cringe at how they level those cakes and slop filling in them. It looks like they are saying "It only matters what it looks like on the OUTSIDE ... heck with how even or level or pretty the inside of the cake is!" icon_surprised.gif

When you refer to "mathematical" cakes, have you seen these cakes personally or in magz pics? Bear in mind that magz, etal, have hired people who have a degree in food design (yeah...I was also surprised to hear there is actually a degree for people to learn how to make food look pretty for a picture) who set all of this up. Some of it isnt' even real food. It's like trying to look like a model in a magazine ... then finding out the model's level of perfection has been air-brushed in!. icon_lol.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:34am
post #4 of 8

Debi, I agree with you about how awful some of the cakes on TV look. I actually saw one on Platinum Weddings that must've had about 2 1/2 inches of icing thick where the layers met. It looked like the decorator stacked two layers with the crowns on them and just filled in the sides with a ton of icing. It looked terrible. AND, since it was Platinum Weddings, they paid thousands for this cake. I remember thinking, sheesh, mine look way better than that when they're cut! And I don't get $10,000 for a cake!

kellertur Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:03am
post #5 of 8

I saw slices of cakes on a website link from a CC member (can't remeber who now), and also on the Food Network cake challenges that have a "tasting" catagory (when they approach the judges).
Example~ suprise engagement challenge.

I want my cakes to look like that!!!

kellertur Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 8

So, how thick do you personally fill your cakes? 1/4 inch, etc.? That sort of thing...

Thanks icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 8

I usually use tip 12 to pipe my dam then fill to the top of that dam. I guess it's about 1/4" thick - haven't measured it.
Never go above the dam. And don't make the dam 2 layers high.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 3:25am
post #8 of 8

My filling is usually 1/4", maybe up to 3/8" thick. I also use the #12 round tip to make the dam so it's never deeper than that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%