03.06.09 Fridy Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 9:47am by sayhellojana

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:02am
post #1 of 27

We haven't done one of these in ages!

I'm still up and will be for a couple of hours. Who else is still up? Whatcha workin on?

26 replies
cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:05am
post #2 of 27

I'm working on a cake. No theme. No colors yet. Nothing. I haven't made a ''real'' cake in more than a year, so I'm mostly just messing around trying to recall how to ice a cake. Then I'll mix up some gaudy colors and make some droopy roses or something and an uneven border at the bottom. I'm totally excited. icon_razz.gif

leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 27

uumm . . . sounds lovely!

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #4 of 27

Husband's putting the kids to bed (gotta love that!), and I'm working on a bowling cake. Neighborhood 8 y.o boy designed his own cake. It's an ice cream cake. Most of it's done (as I freeze it in phases). Just putting the finishing touches on tonight and I'm REALLY excited about this one!! Good luck to all tonight.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #5 of 27

Just finished 48 cupcakes for my son's resturant/bakery, red velvet with cream cheese icing and cookies & cream, all simple stuff, all in a days work (12) hours.

leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:22am
post #6 of 27

I've got a 2 tier Damask design groom's cake (done). Now I'm working on the four tier bride's cake. It sort of matches the architecture in the reception room - columns and tiles.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:26am
post #7 of 27

That sounds intricate, Leahs.

I'm up working on a taco cake for a 30th birthday party. Does anyone know a good way to make lettuce?

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:32am
post #8 of 27

for lettuce, how about roll ice green fondant real thin, wavy strand texture mat(I don't know what it is called but looks like a wad of foil that you tried to flaten)and then shred it, fetticini cut on pasta machine, and then toss with a bit of green food powder, or let it firm and air brush lightly to get the varigated look.

I just made a 3 tier tt hero cake and 36 "bricks" for the Hulk to crash threw. The bricks have been cover in burnt red "white" chocolate coating. This is going to be fun. A friend let's me do her son's birthday every year. He is a hoot.

How did you do the Damask pattern Leah?

tara22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tara22 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #9 of 27

I've got a reception cake for a couple that got married in jamaica and having a reception/party for friends and family back here. I'm also hosting a baby shower for a friend tomorrow, so of course I am doing that cake along with 5 dozen decorated and bagged cookies. I also have to finish cleaning the kitchen(after I finish baking) and make a few more dips! Why do I always take on more than I can handle??

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:39am
post #10 of 27

Hi!! I have missed these club nights!

I am having a ball and a half tonight! 220 individually decorated cupcakes, 2 tiered cake and a sculpted cake--- all with a Wizard of Oz theme for my daughter's middle school. I baked from 7:30-5:30 today, went to the play to volunteer and am finally starting to decorate! Tomorrow is the cast party for their play. It's a HUGE production and VERY impressive, although I may be a little biassed, lol!

Sayhellojana, I used a 104 rose tip to make the BC lettuce on my hamburger cake last week. It's in my pics.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:42am
post #11 of 27

I just finished a 3 tiered TT that I really didn't want to do. I'm done for the night gonna go hang out with DH. Have a good one.

sayhellojana Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:44am
post #12 of 27

Thanks, both sound like good ideas. I'm doing the other elements out of fondant so I'll probably go that route. I dont have an impression mat, but I bed I can do that with wadded plastic wrap

leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:49am
post #13 of 27

Like shredded lettuce? I think I'd take a knife to some fondant.

Fortunately I remembered buying a set of brick imprinting sheets, probably for a gingerbread house. Sure enough I found them in my pastry closet and it's making the fondant pieces look like tiles. Yeah!

leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:52am
post #14 of 27

jlynnw,
Every Damask pattern cake I do is different. I tell the customer that they just have to trust me to create it, or give me something to copy (at least sort of.) I use cutters and place the fondant cutouts onto a bc iced cake. Te cutters don't come in a particular set. I just have a lot of cutters at this point.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:04am
post #15 of 27

I had one undecorated chocolate/peanut butter cake and one 50th pastoral anniversary 1/2 sheet...that's it.

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:16am
post #16 of 27

I am not making a cake tonight but will be tomorrow. I need to make a wedding shower cake for a girl at my parent's church. She is fairly young (early 20's) and is getting married. I have no idea what kind of design to use...does anybody have any good ideas?? I will be start this tomorrow morning or so and I haven't made up my mind! icon_eek.gif Oh, her colors are light pink and green...I want something modern if possible.

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:25am
post #17 of 27

I'm make a "model" of a wedding cake I'm making in a few weeks to show the client tomorrow. First Wedding cake ever and first time to use the pillars and plate method. Any suggestions or advice for using the pillars??

dennettesdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennettesdelectables Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:25am
post #18 of 27

(supposed to be) working on the leaves and trees for a 4wheeler trail themed birthday cake..just found out that I only have 3 weeks to get it done, and I'm in the process of buying my 1st home..oh the joys of being a stay at home mom, just when you pick up something to keep yourself busy, everything gets piled on your plate at once...at least I'm getting paid for this one...

leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:32am
post #19 of 27

What plate and pillar system are you using? SPS I hope? icon_smile.gif

dennettesdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennettesdelectables Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:33am
post #20 of 27

starcity....

I've never used the pillars either, tell me how they work for you..I'm excited to use them...I have seen alot of wedding cakes done where there is bouquets around the base of the pillars to help transition it, I just think they are beautiful either way, but that's an idea if you hadn't already thought of it.

starcitycakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:41am
post #21 of 27

I HAVE NO IDEA! icon_razz.gif Like I said I'm new to this. I had gone to Hobby Lobby and bought a set of 4-3" pillars and a 6" plate all Wilton. I was originally supposed to make a 3 tiered (2 stacked with 1 on pillars) wedding cake. But they had a falling-out and aren't getting married icon_surprised.gif . Luckily I got a $50 deposit before hand when I found out Tuesday NIGHT the wedding was off!! And I was Just getting stuff out to make the cakes. ANYWAYS. So I did put a couple of peices of dowels into the bottom tier and I don't think I did it right. BUT this is the model, and I have plenty of time to get it right. And what is SPS (?)

dennett....
YEP! I was planning on putting the flowers the girl is going to use under the top tier. I think it's gonna look REALLY good when I'm done. I just want to be sure I get it right before the REAL thing is due.

BTW These are two differ people. I confuzed my self when I re-read it icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:53am
post #22 of 27

SPS = Single Plate Separator

(Read my signature line.)

leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:02am
post #23 of 27

Cakes are done! Now to clean the kitchen!

starcitycakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:10am
post #24 of 27

Nope didn't use that method. But YEAH I will when the cake is actually due. I actually bought all of my stuff before I joined CC...and I was thinking "maybe I should get another plate." But wasn't sure. But now that I'm looking at my cake. I HOPE it's still standing tomorrow. icon_lol.gif
SERIOUSLY my pillers are digging deeper and deeper into my cake... icon_sad.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:17am
post #25 of 27

Guys I think I better pack it in and start up again in the morning. Have a good night!

leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:17am
post #26 of 27

Off to bed for me!

Happy caking everyone.

sayhellojana Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:47am
post #27 of 27

Night everyone.

I did what leahs suggested, took a knife to some thinly rolled fondant and gave it a quick scrunch. Lettuce looks good. I froze orange fondant and grated it just like cheese. Use ground up chocolate covered raisins for the beefy mixture. I'm pretty happy with the giant taco cake.

happy caking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%