Stories

Decorating By mandygirlxoxo Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 3:05am by mandygirlxoxo

mandygirlxoxo Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:34am
post #1 of 3

Im in high school. This is my sophomore year at liberty senior high. I started decorating cakes when I was 14 years old. The first cake I ever decorated was an Easter basket at a food show. The cake business there was offering decorating lessons and it was right around Easter. My cake was so cool. It consisted of a basket weave technique with coconut grass and chocolate Easter eggs. The work was sloppy and not very extravagant but it was my first cake and I was proud. I only wish I would have taken a picture of my first masterpiece. Turns out my grandma had heard about it and for my 14th birthday she bought me wilton cake decorating classes. And thats how it all started.
I was the youngest person in my first wilton class. But that was okay with me because eventhough i was young my products were better than theirs anyways.

recently i have finished the third course of wilton cake decorating and i am planning on getting a job at the safeway bakery near my house soon. temporarily... of course. but i plan on going to pastry school and possibly apply at charm city cakes or open my own place. I make cakes any time i can and i practice all the time. The only problem iv been having is eating the frosting. =) im hoping ill eat so much i get sick of it so i will eventually hate it. but its not working out so good. lol Ill figure it out.

so anyone else have a fun story about how they got started? or any funny cake decorating stories they want to share?

2 replies
gerripje Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 3

Well, mine is kind of weird, but a friend of mine wanted me to make her wedding cake. I had made a good tasting chocolate cake, but it didn't look so hot, so I wasn't sure what made her think I could do her wedding cake. This was in 2002 and she wasn't getting married until 2007! I had lots of time to practice.....but I HATED it! Every last minute, I hated. I couldn't do anything, and didn't know anything. Whatever, somehow I managed to get her 3 tiered, square, fondant covered cake done. I said good, I never want to see, smell or taste fondant again!

Well last fall, I up and decided I was going to make my cousin and my daughter nice birthday cakes. I asked another friend while she was going into town to Michael's if she could pick me up some clear vanilla. She came back, said she couldn't find it, but here and handed me RTU gum paste and assorted color fondant. icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Confused, I thanked her and chucked them in the pantry!!! Yeah, I thought, they'll rot before I ever touch them!

I started watching youtube and found this site, which I didn't know about before the wedding cake. Now I am totally obssessed with gum paste and everything cake decorating. I just love learning and practicing now!
So one pushy friend and one....dumb icon_razz.gif friend got me going to something that I really do enjoy!

mandygirlxoxo Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:05am
post #3 of 3

haha, its funny how things work out. =) im glad you gave it another try.
sounds like a pretty good story to me.

the first fondant cake i did for a birthday party was horrible! i did a fondant castle for my cousin. I stayed up till midnight and went to bed with a kitchen covered in grey fondant and crisco. it was soooo gross. and really aggrivating. the fondant keept ripping and there were holes all over the place. i was so angry i started to cry. but it turned out really good in the end because the holes made the castle look old. kinda like ruins. it was really awesome. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%