Subbing Hi-Ratio For Crisco

Decorating By want2bcupcakequeen Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 5:14am by gerripje

want2bcupcakequeen Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:18am
post #1 of 10

I finally got my hands on Hi-Ratio shortening. Can I substitute the Hi Ratio for Crisco in a Crisco/buttercream recipe or should I use a recipe that specifically calls for Hi Ratio?

9 replies
icer101 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #2 of 10

i have always substituted. no problems

msulli10 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 10

You can substitute, but there are some good recipes on here that specify Hi ratio (like Sugarshack buttercream icing).

tracey1970 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:29am
post #4 of 10

I use hi-ratio in place of Crisco. I have found that I use the same amount of hi-ratio as Crisco, but some people say that hi-ratio has more "liquid" in it, causing them to add less liquid. Maybe start with less liquid than you might have used before and add more if you need it. But you don't need any special recipe that calls for hi-ratio.

gerripje Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 10

Tracey1970, where do you get your hi-ratio from and what brand is it? I had quite a day today trying to find this stuff here in Alberta! With no luck of course! I was supposed to find a bran name for the grocery store to order it, maybe, while at customer service, she called back to the bakery to see if she knew a name. She comes up to the front and says "oh dear, you don't need this stuff to make icing, you can use crisco. That stuff's just for fancy cakes!" icon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gif

tracey1970 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:03am
post #6 of 10

I buy mine at the Bulk Barn. It's their "own" brand, so it's nothing brand name. That's all I can get anywhere even remotely near where I live. In fact, at my local Bulk Barn, that's the only shortening they sell is hi-ratio. Are you close to one? I think they are Canada wide, if not North American??

gerripje Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:08am
post #7 of 10

I've checked the Bulk Barn website and it said the furthest one to the west is in Winnipeg. Phooey!! Do you like it anyway?? Isn't Bulk Barn just like other SuperStores with yellow brand. I guess I haven't tried SuperStore yet! I am definately on a mission!!!

JanH Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:59am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

but some people say that hi-ratio has more "liquid" in it, causing them to add less liquid.

Not quite accurate... icon_lol.gif

All shortening brands are 100% fat/0% water (unlike butter or margarine):

http://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/ingredients/2008/04/vegetable_shortening

The difference between Crisco and hi-ratio is in the amount of emulsifiers, and stabilizers, etc. Hi-ratio has MORE emulsifiers, etc. than Crisco so it can ABSORB more liquid without breaking down:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=266

The difference in the two types of shortening isn't flavor/taste improvement (I don't find that Crisco or Sweetex have a discernible taste) but in improved performance and the absence of the "greasy" mouth feel that is an often heard complaint directed at regular shortening based American buttercreams.

When I initially switched from Crisco to Sweetex, I tried subbing at 1:1 ratio. While the resulting recipe was not "greasy" at all, the general consensus was that the frosting was too rich (had too much fat) and was like trying to chug heavy cream (when you were expecting whole milk).

I then switched to recipes that specifically called for hi-ratio and have been quite pleased with the results. I find that hi-ratio recipes use less shortening (and make a better frosting) so that the higher cost of the hi-ratio is offset somewhat, making it more budget friendly.

CakemanOh recommends using 1 cup hi-ratio to 7 cups of powdered sugar, or substituting 2/3 cup hi-ratio for 1 cup of Crisco.

When trying any new recipe, I usually make only 1/2 or 1/3 as a test batch. Might want to try doing this when substituting hi-ratio for Crisco and see what replacement ratio you prefer.

For hi-ratio recipes, please visit this thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6148181-.html

HTH

tracey1970 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 10

Great info! I knew there was something different about hi-ratio, but I couldn't remember what it was. I do a half shortening/half butter recipe, so mine isn't all shortening. That may be why I didn't notice much of a difference when replacing Crisco with hi-ratio??

I am fine with the Bulk Barn stuff, but I haven't used any other hi-ratio to compare it to.

gerripje Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #10 of 10

Ooohh! That information just makes me even more intrigued to try it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%